Some Calves in their winter coats (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I was giving the cows a grain treat ahead of some very cold (below zero F) weather when a few of the spring calves came down the hill to see what I was doing, or maybe beg some for themselves.

These calves have been grazing corn for about two weeks now. After reading this article: http://farmprogress.com/story-cold-weather-increases-livestock-energy-needs-10-71951, I was looking at how thick their winter coats have become.

I think they look pretty comfortable and healthy outwintering in grazing corn and using the woods for shelter. They seem to be gaining well though I have not weighed them recently with my scale under a foot of snow.

Here are a couple pictures of the group that came down the hill to see what I was doing.

IMG_1608afewcalvesintheirwintercoats123012_zps8466aa0d.jpg

IMG_1612samegroupanotherviewofwintercoats123012.jpg

Happy New Year!

Jim

They are ready for the winter. Very nice looking cattle. The show steer folks down here dream of hair like that. Thanks for posting the photos.

Thank you all for the kind words.

Jeanne, the heifer on the far right is definitely a keeper. I like her too. She comes out of a long, deep, very easy keeping cow and my Huth U070 smaller frame bull. One to help build my herd from.

Keep Warm -

Jim

Jim,calves look good,we are using more stalk bales this winter to make up for the hay shortage, Im more suprised on how well there cleaning them up.

andybob":10opx9t5 said:
Looking in good winter form, SR beef, with the record rainfall here, you can hardly tell the Angus and herefords apart they are that covered in mud!

Well when you get tired of all that record rainfall please send some of it over here! In the central US from MN south thru TX we are DRY and need the moisture. I am hoping this snow is not all we are going to get. Even the mighty Mississippi is running very low.

Thanks for the kind words all.

Jim

Latest posts