Solar Electric Fence Chargers

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243

Reaction score
Anyone use 'em? I just obtained another piece of land that has no power, I've used 110 electric fence with good results, what about solar/battery set ups? Any recommendations on brands that have worked for you?

J&D Cattle":3bhpick1 said:
I've used several Parmak Mag 12 solar chargers with success.
Those are what I use too, but not the solar, just the ones that run off of a battery (no charger)

dun":1313d27n said:
J&D Cattle":1313d27n said:
I've used several Parmak Mag 12 solar chargers with success.
Those are what I use too, but not the solar, just the ones that run off of a battery (no charger)
I'd keep doing what your doing. Fencer goes for months with a good deep-cycle battery.

Do they still hold a charge, if say a weed gets on them?

To the OP, I've had a couple years gone by. A few cloudy days in a row, and you were screwed. "They say" they are better than they used to be. So buyer be ware. I haven't had once since.

Bigfoot":38998f8t said:
Do they still hold a charge, if say a weed gets on them?

To the OP, I've had a couple years gone by. A few cloudy days in a row, and you were screwed. "They say" they are better than they used to be. So buyer be ware. I haven't had once since.
Yes they do. The power drops a little but not enough to be significant

JW IN VA":11xjec16 said:
I currently use two 12V Parmaks and am going to get another this spring.I've used the car batt type for spares but the cost of batteries looked too high. :2cents:
Get the deep cycle, they will last longer then the starter type batterys. I'm still using deep cycles that are better than 10 years old

What do you do, buy two batteries, so you'll have one on the fence while the other is charging?

I just ordered this to use with a deep cycle battery.
http://www.kencove.com/fence/detail.php?code=MSP40P
MSP40P_2011.gif

and this
http://www.kencove.com/fence/detail.php?code=EXD3
EXD3_2014.gif

I hope I didn't mess up. I am using it on a 2,000' run of two polywires..
http://www.kencove.com/fence/detail.php?code=RBT49SSW
RBT49SSW_2014.gif

That braided wire is interesting. I've got wire that looks like white tape, it's crap at best. I've got traditional old electric fence wire. It works, but good luck moving it around. Tell us how that stuff works out.

Bigfoot":mavec4p4 said:
That braided wire is interesting. I've got wire that looks like white tape, it's crap at best. I've got traditional old electric fence wire. It works, but good luck moving it around. Tell us how that stuff works out.
That polytape crap doesn;t work around here either. The wind whips it and flexes it so much that the conductors end up breaking. I'm still using rolls of polywire (the braided looking stuff) with nine conductors that I've had for 15 plus years.

dun":2g4td6d9 said:
Bigfoot":2g4td6d9 said:
That polytape crap doesn;t work around here either. The wind whips it and flexes it so much that the conductors end up breaking. I'm still using rolls of polywire (the braided looking stuff) with nine conductors that I've had for 15 plus years.
Do I need two strands?

I am fencing a creek temporary and I don't want anything in there, not even a calf.

I had a Gallagher S50 go out shortly after the warranty expired. I have 2 Gallagher B280's, but constantly have issues with wiring connections (fire ants and mice). Have since bought 3 Parmak 12V units that are fully self contained; have used them for a over a year now without any issues thus far. Amazon has them for $239 including the battery. I like the Gallagher Turbo Wire for areas where you need to move the wire around; very easy to work with and can be patched / extended by simply tying a knot. It costs more, but has much lower resistance than poly wire.

dun":2c7tlbxk said:
Bigfoot":2c7tlbxk said:
For best results 9 wire is the only way to go.6 wire only carries good shock about 200 m (so they say)

JW IN VA":3ofg9a9o said:
For best results 9 wire is the only way to go.6 wire only carries good shock about 200 m (so they say)
What we actually use as hot wire is all 9 conductor. I cheaped out when we first started and got some of the 6 conductor. All we use it for is real short term temp runs that won;t carry any juice and occasionally to herd the girls somewhere in the open. I hold one end and the wife holds the other and just walk along and the cows move along ahead of the wire. I've even been known to use just white cotton string for the same purpose. Once a calf gets to be a couple of weeks old it will even work for them. Won;t work for lunkheads, just those that are used to hotwire and respect it.

Parmak mag12sp has stood the test of time
They claim to keep working for 21 days in total darkness

We are selling more S500 speedrite and no complaints

If I were to buy one today I'd do like HDRIDER and buy a speedrite that can be hooked up either 110 volt or 12volt
With the cost of the battery and solar panel it's higher but it gives you the option of the 110 volt

Only complaints I hear are about the smaller 6volt chargers not being hot enough so I would stay away from those

Cross-7":34qydabs said:
Parmak mag12sp has stood the test of time
They claim to keep working for 21 days in total darkness

We are selling more S500 speedrite and no complaints

Looks an awful lot like a Patriot. Same company makes both?
SpeedriteS500.jpg

ps15__29917.1412351830.500.750.jpg

Latest posts