Soil Testing

Help Support CattleToday:

Mid South Guy

Reaction score
Would someone please explain why it seems that very few people do soiling testing? I see on this board and others, and a lot of people I talk to keep asking, what kind of fertilizer do I need? How much fertilizer do I need? Do I need to lime? etc. All these questions can be answered with a soil analysis, and every place I've been this is a service offerd by the extension service FREE of charge, paid for with our tax dollars. You just take samples to them, tell them what was grown there last year, what will be grown next year, when it was last limed, and they will return an analysis of your soil and a fertilizer and lime recommendation based on your goals. It's up to the indiviual if they want to act on that. The mere fact they are asking the questions implies they intend to take action. I know soil testing and proper action has made my meager operation much more productive.

Never have figured it out either. Maybe they feel blind luck would work better then actually knowing what they're doing.

dun":2dj6oztl said:
Never have figured it out either. Maybe they feel blind luck would work better then actually knowing what they're doing.

Apathy or just plain lazy. For $15. It's almost free considering the bucks save by adding too much or not enough. I buy 34-0-0 and 0-0-60, don't need the P, and mix as required. Sometimes get a headache trying to figure to amount per acre. Then adjust the spreader and try to drive 2500rpms in second gear. Usually I have it down pat about the time I finish. A few yellow and greener spots. I put out half of what is required in two applications. Especially the nitrogen, I'm told it usually all gone after six rains. That's double time on the tractor but I like my tractor

A lot more than $15 here. Still worth it... well for one thing I learned from mine that I didn't need lime. I was also at the point where I didn't trust the soil tests I'd been given and needed to do my own... did three areas, know exactly where the samples came from and the results were all very consistent.
I was right not to trust the other soil tests I had.

Had to go into town to borrow the soil sampler from the fertiliser company, then return it a few days later so it's a bit of a time investment too.

In a cow calf operation, how long does it take to break even on 200 lbs, 21-0-0 per acre on pasture? There is a gain in lbs. per day gained by calves and there can also be a gain in stocking rate. The problem is that for some reason many do not put the pencil to it. They assume that the high price of fertilizer makes it unfeasible.
Cattle magazines have been including articles ever since I can remember on benefits of doing different management things in pastures, like the use of legumes and pasture rotation, but for some reason all to many rationalize why it it is not right for them. The same people complain about having to feed to much hay and not making a profit.
The concept of "You Are A Grass Farmer First" seems to not be understood. To go along with this one must also understand the basic business principle of inputs vs. outputs, short term and long term. Investment capital and cash flow necessary to implement these management practices will also play a very important role.

What I struggle with is people that will take a couple or three samples on 40 acres and mix them together then go on that sample. If griding the fields is available in their areas, it will pay. Example, a few years ago I got some bags, did just that and it looked like I needed about 3 ton of lime to the acre on 160 acres, 480 tons. Decided to have the grid done and variable spread the lime. They took samples on every 1 1/2 acre plot. Some areas called for no lime, some called for as much as 5 ton. The whole 160 called for 488 ton total. Put it on just where was needed, didn't waste lime on the ground that didn't need lime, and still bought the same amount.
My cost of the grid test was $9 an acre. gs

plumber_greg":26qaofyy said:
If griding the fields is available in their areas, it will pay. Example, a few years ago I got some bags, did just that and it looked like I needed about 3 ton of lime to the acre on 160 acres, 480 tons. Decided to have the grid done and variable spread the lime. They took samples on every 1 1/2 acre plot. Some areas called for no lime, some called for as much as 5 ton. The whole 160 called for 488 ton total. Put it on just where was needed, didn't waste lime on the ground that didn't need lime, and still bought the same amount.
My cost of the grid test was $9 an acre. gs

How deep did they sample?

Does your soil vary that much, or have previous lime imputs been very variable?

Latest posts