Soft Rock Phospate

Help Support CattleToday:

Proverbs 12:10

Reaction score
Anybody out there had experience using this stuff? How good does it work? Where do you get it? What does it cost per acre? Etc... Because of the high cost of fertilizer I'm looking to add more legumes but don't like the price of DAP.

Proverbs 12:10":3uptyro6 said:
Anybody out there had experience using this stuff? How good does it work? Where do you get it? What does it cost per acre? Etc... Because of the high cost of fertilizer I'm looking to add more legumes but don't like the price of DAP.
I have not used it but the recommended rate is 1 ton per acre. It is about 16% phosphorus and 19% calcium, slow release.

The rock phospahte will not be available in large enough amounts to do you much good. The phosphate you use as an actual fertilizer starts off in a rock form, but it has been reacted with acid to make it more readily available. Hope this helps.

Aggie Farmer":1h6w5wm0 said:
The rock phospahte will not be available in large enough amounts to do you much good. The phosphate you use as an actual fertilizer starts off in a rock form, but it has been reacted with acid to make it more readily available. Hope this helps.

Thanks Aggie...that's the kind of information I was looking for. I was wondering if you had to truck 100 tons of the stuff 200 miles just to satisfy 50 acres then the economics won't work.

Do you have a source for Soft Rock? I've used it. Came out of Florida. As far as I know the Florida mine is closed. I've switched to Tenn. Brown. It is a hard rock. Nice thing about rock P, you put it down and your done for 10 years or so. Problem with the acid treated P. It is so available it ties up in the soil making it unavailable to the plant. Soil test will show adequate P. But that P will not be plant available.

Latest posts