So tiny! Why?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
One of my cows that I thought was open surprised me with a tiny, tiny bull calf last Friday (the 23rd). I seriously couldn't tell she was bred & was going to have her preg checked when we work them in May (just to be sure) before I shipped her. Calf was 38 lbs. and I initially had her due today (28th), so not a preemie. Plus, she was bred by our bull that's not a calving ease bull & his calves average around 85 lbs.

The cow is a little thinner than normal but still in good condition, only 5 years old and hasn't shown any signs of sickness. Temp is normal, great appetite, no coughing/drooling/snotty nose. Anaplas was my first thought, but her eyes, gums & vulva are nice and pink. She has had pretty loose stool, but she was also grazing new spring grass. She shouldn't be wormy, but I did go ahead & worm her with Cydectin. I've been keeping them at the barn, mainly to keep an eye on him, but he's active and has gained a good 5 lbs.

Any ideas what's going on with her? IMG_20210423_100323.jpgIMG_20210427_141453846.jpg

Do you know if all her calves have been small? Don't know how I'd proceed.. probably benign neglect.
She was born & raised here. All her calves have been around 70-75 lbs.

I've been leaning towards benign neglect, just watch her closely, but probably will still sell her at weaning. That said, I also thought about giving her LA300 or Baytril 100-C before I let them join the herd juuuuust in case it's anaplas.

She was born & raised here. All her calves have been around 70-75 lbs.

I've been leaning towards benign neglect, just watch her closely, but probably will still sell her at weaning. That said, I also thought about giving her LA300 or Baytril 100-C before I let them join the herd juuuuust in case it's anaplas.
I like that plan. Won't hurt anything and may ease your mind a little

One of my cows that I thought was open surprised me with a tiny, tiny bull calf last Friday (the 23rd). I seriously couldn't tell she was bred & was going to have her preg checked when we work them in May (just to be sure) before I shipped her. Calf was 38 lbs. and I initially had her due today (28th), so not a preemie. Plus, she was bred by our bull that's not a calving ease bull & his calves average around 85 lbs.

The cow is a little thinner than normal but still in good condition, only 5 years old and hasn't shown any signs of sickness. Temp is normal, great appetite, no coughing/drooling/snotty nose. Anaplas was my first thought, but her eyes, gums & vulva are nice and pink. She has had pretty loose stool, but she was also grazing new spring grass. She shouldn't be wormy, but I did go ahead & worm her with Cydectin. I've been keeping them at the barn, mainly to keep an eye on him, but he's active and has gained a good 5 lbs.

Any ideas what's going on with her? View attachment 4102View attachment 4103
Cute little devil. Could it be a twin who's womb mate was lost during gestation?
I'd wait and see how it grows. If she's not an old cow, I may keep her.
If it was Anaplasmosis I would have thought she wouldn't have carried to term.

Cute little devil. Could it be a twin who's womb mate was lost during gestation?
I'd wait and see how it grows. If she's not an old cow, I may keep her.
If it was Anaplasmosis I would have thought she wouldn't have carried to term.
That's the thing: the cow with anaplas last year had hers probably only 7 weeks early (I'd have to go back & look) but it was stillborn.

I've been so dang happy we didn't have any twins this year, that never occurred to me.

BTW, named him Mighty Mouse😁

Maybe a lost/aborted twin would explain it.

However it happened, that baby is ADORABLE!

I have several that are not in as good a shape as I'd like them to be coming out of winter. That last cold snap really messed with things I think!
Had one calve today that I didnt think would be along for a couple weeks at least. I've got 3 left. I honestly thought one of the others would be first. But SURPRISE!
20210428_180532.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard cows with Johnes will have tiny calves before being symptomatic even. Loose stool too. Might be worth testing.
Can't completely rule out Jones because anything is possible. Haven't bought a cow since our original herd in '09, but could be introduced by one of the bulls. That said, I do know our current breeder tests for Jones but not sure if our previous bulls were tested. The timing would be right as far as when symptoms generally start to appear, but she doesn't have the vile, sickly-sweet smell. I have noticed since she's been in the barnyard, her stool is considerably firmer because there's not much grass (eating small bales of brome).

@bird dog Edit to add: certainly, a magnet does not rule out hardware, but so far she hasn't shown any typical symptoms: swelling in the brisket/under the jaw/front legs, drooling, laying with her head extended, lack of appetite, etc. Definitely something to watch.

Hi, That cute little calf appears to have an underbite. Did you check his bite when he was born? Underbite in cattle is usually caused by manganese deficiency. It is not because of bad genes. The type of underbite he appears to have is because his premaxillary bone is underdeveloped and thus too short so the lower incisors are forward of the dental pad on the front of the premaxillary bone and not contacting the dental pad like they are supposed to do. If you give the mother a bit of extra calcium and manganese in her grain, it should go into her milk and when he drinks the milk, it will hopefully result in the calf and his premaxillary bone growing to be normal in size. Do check his bite as soon as possible.

Hi, That cute little calf appears to have an underbite. Did you check his bite when he was born? Underbite in cattle is usually caused by manganese deficiency. It is not because of bad genes. The type of underbite he appears to have is because his premaxillary bone is underdeveloped and thus too short so the lower incisors are forward of the dental pad on the front of the premaxillary bone and not contacting the dental pad like they are supposed to do. If you give the mother a bit of extra calcium and manganese in her grain, it should go into her milk and when he drinks the milk, it will hopefully result in the calf and his premaxillary bone growing to be normal in size. Do check his bite as soon as possible.
I haven't noticed an underbite but will check him this afternoon. In the first pic, his lower jaw looks more prominent because there is residual Nursemate ASAP (a gel) dripping off his lower lip. 2nd pic was taken 2 days later. At least he's nursing like a champ.

Hmmmm. I may end up just taking them both in.

Yall got me cracking up. Imagine if I was a twin. 🤣Oh heck no! The world knew it couldn't handle all that. 😂😁😝
I love Tiny! She is a cutie!!

I haven't noticed an underbite but will check him this afternoon. In the first pic, his lower jaw looks more prominent because there is residual Nursemate ASAP (a gel) dripping off his lower lip. 2nd pic was taken 2 days later. At least he's nursing like a champ.

Hmmmm. I may end up just taking them both in.
Just drop em off at my place. I'll post pics when I wean him.... 😀

And who checks a calf's bite when its born???

Last edited:

Latest posts