Snotty noses?

Help Support CattleToday:

Z&J Cattle

Reaction score
I bought a group of 500# heifer calves last week to feed out this winter. We ran them all through and vaccinated them with Triangle 4 and 7-way blackleg. We also gave them all a dose of LA-200 to hopefully head off any illness. The last batch we bought, we ended up giving nearly all of them at least one round anyway, so we just decided to save a little time and stress on the calves and hit them all with a dose right off the bat, then follow up with any that needed a second dose in a couple of days. Yesterday had been two days since their initial round of LA200. I walked through them and evaluated them to the best of my ability and decided to give three of them a second dose (snotty noses). My question is, can a calf just simply have a snotty nose like humans, but not necassarily have a serious condition or develop one? How many doses of LA 200 should I give before looking at something different to clear them up or should I just back off for a day or two and reevaluate them then? Thanks in advance for any input as always.

Vaccinate and antibiotics? I think you just wasted your vaccinations. Maybe someone else can confirm that, I should know but am drawing a blank right now.

Snotty nose is clear snot? No elevated temp? Then I would not worry.
If there is any color to it at all (green, white or yellow), I would for sure use nuflor as dun suggested.

I have been told by our old vet. not to vacinate and give antibiotics at the same time as it kills the vacine. He also said better to wait and doctor the ones that get sick and vacinate when they are all in good health.

Red Bull Breeder":17agjixz said:
I have been told by our old vet. not to vacinate and give antibiotics at the same time as it kills the vacine. He also said better to wait and doctor the ones that get sick and vacinate when they are all in good health.

That was our preferred method too. But we would give them a shot of Nuflor as they came off the trailer then a week later vaccinate and worm.

There are other drugs that are good for feedlot sickness. They have longer times between treatment. One is 15 days and the other is 10days. Excede and Draxin i believe. Nuflor is also good and withSQ injection it's three days between treatment.

On our cattle we buy through the sale we've been giving Vista Once SQ, Vision 7, worm, implant, and a shot of Draxxin .It's worked like a charm, how long it will last I don't know, but I've done this for the last couple of years and it's the closest thing to a silver bullet I've ever had .

Larry

dun":eimzdiu8 said:
Red Bull Breeder":eimzdiu8 said:

That was our preferred method too. But we would give them a shot of Nuflor as they came off the trailer then a week later vaccinate and worm.

Yes. Exactly. Calves eating really well and drinking clean water are usually going to be okay. Nuflor is the best if you can get it. Banamine too if they have fever.

Once they are healthy and eating good in a routine, give them their vaccines.

I lost three out of the second load I bought. All were sick and luckily I didn't lose more. Extreme summer heat had some to do with it. Didn't lose any others.

baxter78":1zlisquh said:
You should feel good that you just lost three. Some people would have lost a heck of alot more than that. I hate losing an animal. It makes me feel like a failure and I always replay things in my mind over and over again to see if I really did enough and was it cost effective or cost prohibitive.

We were having problems with the calves getting sick 3-4 days to a week after we unloaded them. That was why the vet recommended we give a shot of Nuflor as a preventative. Must have worked cause we didn;t have any sick calves after that. I don;t believe in just willynilly giving antibiotics. This was the only time we ever gave them without an actual diagnoses of a health problem. The old "ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure" deal

It is the stress. Breaks into the immune system. Getting them on good feed, clean water, and on good forage helps get them out of stress at the new locale. If they contract a virus during stress, you have the problems I did.

backhoeboogie":17aaqv0l said:
It is the stress. Breaks into the immune system. Getting them on good feed, clean water, and on good forage helps get them out of stress at the new locale. If they contract a virus during stress, you have the problems I did.

That's why shipping fever isn;t a real disease, it's just the manifestation of a complex of things. But nipping it in the bud (sounds like Barney Fife) prevents the problem.

Thick yellow snot that just sits there is something they will get over as long as they are basically bright and eating. When you see something that more resembles amber crusts and a dry nose, that may be more serious and may need some systemic treatment. The worst is clear serous snot that hangs and drips... sometimes it is even combined with drools. That is a definate treat.

baxter78":hrlzvag7 said:
bward":hrlzvag7 said:
Thick yellow snot that just sits there is something they will get over as long as they are basically bright and eating. When you see something that more resembles amber crusts and a dry nose, that may be more serious and may need some systemic treatment. The worst is clear serous snot that hangs and drips... sometimes it is even combined with drools. That is a definate treat.
I have a cow or two in the summer that gets clear snot hanging from nose and drools. They are not sick as they are bright eyed, bushy tailed, and continue to eat good. I think that the dust irritates their noses and so they have a runny nose.
Clear snot is ok ~ allergies or irritants as baxter mentions. Fail to treat thick yellow snot, and you are ignoring an infection. What do you think the yellow in that snot might be?

angie":1x9or776 said:
baxter78":1x9or776 said:
bward":1x9or776 said:
I have a cow or two in the summer that gets clear snot hanging from nose and drools. They are not sick as they are bright eyed, bushy tailed, and continue to eat good. I think that the dust irritates their noses and so they have a runny nose.
Clear snot is ok ~ allergies or irritants as baxter mentions. Fail to treat thick yellow snot, and you are ignoring an infection. What do you think the yellow in that snot might be?

More snot?? :lol: :lol: Kinda like the white in Chicken Sh....I better hush, forget it. :kid:

Mass treatment of yearlings at delivery is very common. The best drug that I have used for what is called "metaphalatic" treatment is Micotil. Cost per head is way less than Draxxin and Nuflor. The results have been very good in my program. Cost/hd for mass treatment with Micotil on 500lb steers is about $10.

Paul T

baxter78":3nwcbljx said:
Wild Cattle":3nwcbljx said:
Nuflor at 5cc/cwt= 25cc x .62 = $15.50/hd
Wow,

Most places I have seen micotil is way more expensive than nuflor. Where do you buy yours?

Same thing around here.

Nuflor's better to use than Micotil IMHO.

Latest posts