Cattle Breathing Problems/Snotty nose

Help Support CattleToday:

beef10

Reaction score
A few of my angus cattle have begun to have snotty noses and are breathing heavier. They forcefully blow out to clear the snot. What would this be? Any ideas if I can treat it if it is serious?

IBR, allergys, temperature changes, summer cold, the list is endlss. Keep an eye on them and if anything else happens or they get worse or it lasts more then a week, then I would look deeper into the possible cause.

dun

My cows are doing the same thing, but aslo watery eyes is there a shot you can buy at your feed store or do you have to get a vet?

It isn't wise to take shots in the dark, other than as a last resort. I would check them over carefully and make sure that there is something there that actually NEEDS to be treated. Sometimes runny eyes happen for a variety of reasons, dust, seed heads rubbing their eyes and sometimes pinkeye. But, you don't want to work all of your cattle for runny eyes due to dust.

FIRST: take the critters temperature !! if it is over 101, get a vet....it could be starting pneumonia. We had a yearling bull get it and it took antibiotics and five weeks to get him over it. If you must treat it yourself, i would use erythromycin or pennicillin in the Mg per lb bodyweight amount on the bottle. If there is no or little temp increase, it is probably allergies like others have said.

MrGale":34avmu32 said:
FIRST: take the critters temperature !! if it is over 101, get a vet....it could be starting pneumonia.

Normal temps in cattle range from 100.4 to 103.1.

We had a yearling bull get it and it took antibiotics and five weeks to get him over it. If you must treat it yourself, i would use erythromycin or pennicillin in the Mg per lb bodyweight amount on the bottle.

Nuflor, Baytril, and probably several other antibiotics, are much more effective against pneumonia in this size animal.

beef10":lvn3f4v9 said:
A few of my angus cattle have begun to have snotty noses and are breathing heavier. They forcefully blow out to clear the snot. What would this be? Any ideas if I can treat it if it is serious?
Thank you all for your help!!

Up here in Eastern Washington we're right at the end of our dry season...we hope...looks like a brush fire from the dust when the cows move anywhere. We get alot of runny eyes, dry caugh and snotty noses. The alfalfa candy will cause caughing and green snot. We should see relief in a week or two or three...
IMO...I'd just keep an eye on them unless you have a persistant cough.
Just my two bits orth....DMc

M.Sarria":1h0dh9b8 said:
My cows are doing the same thing, but aslo watery eyes is there a shot you can buy at your feed store or do you have to get a vet?
Are they still eating the same? drinking? never just jump to a shot unless you really need to did you take a temp? 101 is too serious if its over 101 and your worried about the fever give him a shot of benamine
allergy wise if there is alot of dust, pollen heat try tri-hist granules made for horses with allergies but I use it for an 8 month old calf, if you want to try that i can give you dosage for you cattle

Latest posts