Smokers

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I do not have the skillset as my brother hook to build my own smoker I would like to get on and wondered what you think of this one? I like how its built but do not like how thin the metal firebox and side walls are.. I found one that im hoping goes on a huge sale at lowes that is a oklahoma joes grill/smoker and that thing is well built and right at 500 bucks I figure it may drop a couple hundered when winter is here.

ResizedImage_1408546631978_zps202ac0d5.jpg

send the 200 and I will buy it and send you a picture everynow and then. Kinda like adopting a kid in a foreign country. You can put the picture on your fridge and tell everyone its your smoker.

skyhightree1":261zrc52 said:
I do not have the skillset as my brother hook to build my own smoker I would like to get on and wondered what you think of this one? I like how its built but do not like how thin the metal firebox and side walls are.. I found one that im hoping goes on a huge sale at lowes that is a oklahoma joes grill/smoker and that thing is well built and right at 500 bucks I figure it may drop a couple hundered when winter is here.

ResizedImage_1408546631978_zps202ac0d5.jpg

Junk, junk, junk.

M5farm":32kkeovt said:
send the 200 and I will buy it and send you a picture everynow and then. Kinda like adopting a kid in a foreign country. You can put the picture on your fridge and tell everyone its your smoker.
:lol: and the winner is...... :nod:

M5farm":2yjwc9l4 said:

LMAO :)

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Junk, junk, junk.

I figured the walls are so thin

Hook":2yjwc9l4 said:
I won't last 2 years. Max.

probably less I think you are generous

I want to build a wood smoke house like jo's but I think something portable would best suit my needs. Does anyone have any experience with the oklahoma joes smokers

TennesseeTuxedo":3olitmmc said:
Hook":3olitmmc said:
I have that one sky. It's a good smoker and thicker steel. I'm on the second year with it out in the elements and still use it for smaller cooks

+1

Much better choice.

Thanks yall.. I like the feel of that one its heavy and IMO will hold in more heat

Hook":1wvvqvc3 said:
It will go through one bag of charcoal every 8hrs with adding some large chunks of wood for the smoke.

Thats all??????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I have to get one of those. My small one now is thin and will use a bag of charcoal in 2 hours or maybe I didnt have the damper set correctly.

Hook":2kehk7um said:
It depends on your temps. With a 225 smoke temp its one large bag every 8 hrs.

Not sure what the temp was but I do know the needle was pegged in the HOT section and not in the ideal :lol:

skyhightree1":3q3rqvaa said:

I wish I could have bought that one but wife would have not been happy with the pricetag so I bought this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-A ... /203736346 to replace the one I bought years ago that was falling apart: http://www.brinkmann.net/outdoor_cookin ... 852-7080-E

Offset smoker is a lot better and holds more meat than the upright "bullet style" smokers. One think I noticed with my model is trying to get the heat just right and I am sure that is because of the cheaper steel used but also what the conditions are that day and how the air is flowing through it may require turning it to the right angle so the breeze helps the air flow. Bought a cover for it so hope it will help protect it so it lasts many years.

Would love to get into a discussion on smoking with you guys. What kind of wood do you prefer to use, what cuts of meats do you do the most and your methods of prep work and smoking to get the flavors you want. I do mostly pork butts and have gotten really good over the years of enhancing the flavor I am able to get. Beer can chicken is another one I really like doing. Tried my first brisket this summer, wasn't pleased with how it turned out but my dad thought it was delicious so must not have done too bad. When wanting to smoke something simple and in less time I usually do hind quarters and boneless/skinless chicken breasts or baby back ribs. Can still get some good smoke flavor while doing more of an "offset grilling" to cook it a little faster than slow smoking it.

Will let you guys add to the discussion and will chime in some once I see where the conversation goes. I could go into more details on how I like to smoke things but could get to be a pretty long post if I get too deep into it.

I have a butt in brining right now. I will put it on the kamado smoker in the morning about 6am and cook it at around 230deg for about 12 hrs. I just got the new grill last week and have cooked on it 3 times already on one pile of lump charcoal. I use pecan to smoke with because it's free.

SPH, I also love to smoke when I can find the time, don't feel like to turns out like I think it should, but folks sure eat it, I do think that when your preparing the meat then the hours it takes to smoke it one's taste buds maybe get's too much smoke and one can't get a good taste of your own cooks?? I have a Weber Kettle, Electric Mastercraft, a big Pig Cooker made by BQ Grills out of North Carolina ,wore out several other cookers like the ones you guys are looking at here, but my family likes the food I smoke off our plain Gas BBG that you can buy at any box store the best. My next purchase will be a Weber Gas grill, it will last forever if taken care and you can control the heat better with it than the lighter grills. Our big pig cooker works the same way, can do a whole pig if you want or about 230# to 250# of butts or beef roasts, cook them for 11 hrs, on this and you can cut them with a fork. Like I said I am still learning but found a site called (The Smoke Ring ) that has a lot of information if one wants to visit with folks the love to smoke, most of these guys like to just use just wood but still a lot of information there. Good luck 101

Latest posts