Another question about types of wood for smokers

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I have a bunch of wild plum, wild pear and wild Apple trees on the place. A few different varieties of each, how much do I need to be concerned about any toxins and any problem leaving the bark on the pieces to be used for smoke?

Alan":31282kh4 said:
I have a bunch of wild plum, wild pear and wild Apple trees on the place. A few different varieties of each, how much do I need to be concerned about any toxins and any problem leaving the bark on the pieces to be used for smoke?

Don't poison the family on my advice...............I think those woods would be fine. I like a mix of fruit producing tree, and nut producing tree, in the same fire.

It does not take a lot of the fruit wood to give it the flavor. Im with BF hardwood for fire Fruitwood for smoke. Those with small smokers I highly recommend using hardwood lump charcoal and using your smoking wood along with that.

The only wood you don't want to use is a resinous wood like pine - unless you use it very sparingly. I don't know of any hardwood or fruit wood you cannot use. Except of course p - ss- y willow because it can give you an STD.

Jogeephus":3m99p420 said:
The only wood you don't want to use is a resinous wood like pine - unless you use it very sparingly. I don't know of any hardwood or fruit wood you cannot use. Except of course p - ss- y willow because it can give you an STD.

Thanks ALL, Jo your post about Black Cherry,( you also said you could not smoke it enough to make it toxic) made me think about this. I want to use the fruit wood on our property, we have very little hard wood, some alder and oak........ I'm 56 and married I haven't see willow in too many years. :?

Alan":1pwama0j said:
Jogeephus":1pwama0j said:

Thanks ALL, Jo your post about Black Cherry,( you also said you could not smoke it enough to make it toxic) made me think about this. I want to use the fruit wood on our property, we have very little hard wood, some alder and oak........ I'm 56 and married I haven't see willow in too many years. :?

Alan, I think the local willow would be completely safe if you can get it but the willow found on other properties or grown around town or strange places is very risky.

I'm sure you remember a few years ago they were telling everyone not to use charcoal to cook steaks with because it causes cancer and will kill you. You have to use a little common sense on some of this stuff and try and connect the dots if you can. I think if you do a search and you will find a good satirical post Milkmaid posted some years ago about the dangers of hydrogen hydroxide and how many people this common element has killed yet you still use it every day. Even bathe in it ..,, so you will surely die .... one day anyway.

One of my brother in laws use to tinker with smoking bacon. He used sassafras on it. Been a long time but seems I remember it had a good flavor.

I've used seasoned peach before and of course native pecan. I learned to use them sparingly, as they deposited a heavy almost tar looking film on the meat if you use too much of it--the 1st time I used only the peach wood and nothing else, and it was close to being a ruined chunk of beef. This was on a brisket smoker--not a smoker for curing hams and bacon.

The guys cut down some old pear trees. My husband cut some up for my smoker. Best smoke ever. Really good with pork. The after taste is sooooo good. Tried some pecan off a tree in the yard, pecan is good. But, i think i like pear best.

Latest posts