smokers

Help Support CattleToday:

fenceman

Reaction score
I talked to few about my desire to take up smoking meats. Particularly venison, sticks and summer sausage. I have plans to build a proper smoke house.
There's some good deals coming in a couple days on electric and propane smokers. (Gander mountain&cabelas)
Any opinion on these.
With kids coming in a couple of days some deer will get shot. Is it ok to go ahead and process and freeze the meat then thaw it latter road smoke. I'm.about ready for some instruction on this :D
Rams venison sticks :nod:

On the electric ones I had a Masterchef brand electric smoker lasted about 15 uses. Since then I prefer to stay away from electric ones though I know a few people with Traegers who swear by em. But me I'll stick with wood fired from now on.

I will normally grind up a large amount of meat (30% pork ,70%deer), and vacuum pack the stuffed sausage. Then I can pull some out and smoke it "fresh ".

I vacuum pack my deer in 5lb packs of grind.

In '03 I bought an existing BBQ restaurant and it had a large electric Cook Shack in it. I thought it would be the first thing to go and replaced with a wood smoker. Turned out I was wrong. This smoker cooks consistently, which is needed in the commercial business. I'm able to adjust from light smoke, medium or heavy and the only thing I have to worry about during the cooking process is if the electricity goes off. Not having to check it at 3 am is another plus.

Just build a hut like Joes and dig a fire hole. Fill w oak. Get up early and re stoke it if needed. Do over in January/February. Eat the sticks. Do over next XMas. :)

We've always processed our on meat, but never done much smoking. Rams snack stick photo inspired me. After a few 2.5 pound test runs we put our first 25 pound full batch in this morning.
What we've done so far has been really good. My employees all love em and so far nobody's died.

Latest posts