Smoke Alarms

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I have a couple of battery-powered smoke detectors that have been up since the 1980s. One is about 12 feet from the oven, and it will occasionally set it off. I can also blow out a match underneath, and that sets them off. Some might call that sensitive, but it's what I am accustomed to.

A few weeks ago, I ordered a couple more battery-powered smoke/co alarms to put in other areas; they were two for $30. The light and test button works perfectly. Yesterday, I decided to give it a test and blew out a large candle a few inches from it. It put off a lot of smoke, but to my surprise, the alarm didn't immediately go off. I actually had to light and blow out again before it went off. Both reacted the same.

Does this sound typical with modern detectors? I have read that some are designed not to give false alarms, which I assume means they are less sensitive, but I like them sensitive. Will they work appropriately if there is a real fire, or does the room have to be burned down around you before it goes off? Does it sound like
my new ones are normal or defective?

After researching more, I believe I solved it. There are photoelectric and ionization types. They respond differently to different types of smoke. Gee whiz. It's getting so one can't buy a stick of gum without research. I miss the days when i wanted something, I just went to the store and grabbed the first one I saw, and it wasn't any different than the other two styles I left on the shelf.

We have some that are wired in but also have batteries. They don't seem too sensitive, have never went off due to smoke, but we haven't tried necessarily to make them. They do start squawking when battery gets low always happens in the night. Dang near gives me a heart attack being abruptly woke up and then have to fumble around to figure out how to stop the noise. More than a few times I have thought about shooting those darn smoke alarms to get them to stop beeping.

Ky hills said:
We have some that are wired in but also have batteries. They don't seem too sensitive, have never went off due to smoke, but we haven't tried necessarily to make them. They do start squawking when battery gets low always happens in the night. Dang near gives me a heart attack being abruptly woke up and then have to fumble around to figure out how to stop the noise. More than a few times I have thought about shooting those darn smoke alarms to get them to stop beeping.

I had wired ones once, and I can relate to the annoying beeps. I don't understand what the purpose of one is if the room is engulfed in flames before it goes off. I'd rather deal with a few false alarms from burning something in the oven than have it not go off when needed.

Just purchased a new one. It is battery operated, but you cannot replace the battery. Says "will not chirp when battery is getting low". Well, how do I know it's getting low, besides testing it? And who tests one every week? (month, year???) Not me.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Just purchased a new one. It is battery operated, but you cannot replace the battery. Says "will not chirp when battery is getting low". Well, how do I know it's getting low, besides testing it? And who tests one every week? (month, year???) Not me.

We never test them except when they start chirping around 1-3:00 am on a night that we have extra need for a good nights sleep. No doubt should take it more seriously though. Heard a friend say that one of their neighbors used to come and check theirs every year when he checked his. She said he was a real good neighbor.

It makes nervous that my new ones don't react directly to smoke as much as my old ones. Apparently, the ones I have react more to a "smoldering" fire instead of smoke from burning paper, for example. According to what I've read, smoldering fires are the main culprit of major house fires. I guess I'm just set in my old ways; when I blow out a candle, I want that sucker to go off even if it is a little annoying at the time.

Latest posts