Smallest Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

We had one several years ago that couldn't have weighed 40#. Born in the middle of an ice storm in the middle of the night. Went to pick it up, grabbed it by the leg and damn near threw it over my head it was so light. It weaned at maybe #300.

I saw this post and thought, thank goodness i dont have any preemies so far this year...but then....Old sim cow had this heifer the other day. Went out to check cows and saw her with this black speck setting under her. Thought to myself she wasnt ready to calve. This cow has given us show steers, she was once paralyzed for 2 weeks after having one of the biggest calves ever.
Anywho, meet Mini. Not sure what she weighs, but i can pick her up with one hand. Her feet pads are still on her feet, she doesnt weigh enough to wear them off. She had no teeth. Her hair was just past fuzz. I'm guessing 25 pounds. I think a day earlier, she wouldnt have lived and the only reason she did was it wasnt freezing or wet..

Got the cow up and got 3 doses of colostrum for future problem calves. We also got the evenings feeding for Mini and let zombie calf empty her udder.

Not sure if Mini will make it. She seems to be progressing. My hopes is to get her back on her mother, but thats days away.

Shes doing really good. Not seeing anything to send red flags. Mother never bonded I'm sure due to how early she was and the calf never called to her. But this morning when I went to feed her the cow acted interested. I'll get them together it may just take time.

Finally nursing on her own...I'll keep her up for a couple weeks before i'll put them back with the herd..

This little heifer calf weighed 32 lbs when born she had a bull for twin brother. The heifer was ai on 12 th July so she is quite early used a PB Char sire.She was up and sucking soon after birth and hasn't looked back since.

Latest posts