Smallest Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
So, what is the smallest calf that you have ever had alive?? Out of normal sized cows of course...lol.

Had one born this afternoon, minimum 3 weeks early (reality, longer than that I would think) Weighed 32 lbs. It is the smallest calf I have ever seen, that was born alive anyways. Lively, sucked a bottle, but hasn't been up yet. Out of a 2 year old Angus heifer bred Angus.

Meant to post this earlier.. Only one I have at the moment.

10408108_10205112943996830_2571280630355917046_n.jpg

Something around 40 lbs... it was from an UhOh... it probably weaned around 50 lbs.

That one looks cute!.. you sure she doesn't have another one in there?

55 is the smallest Ive had.

This year out of only 5 calves so far my avg is 94.8lbs, and a set of twins knocked that down. 3 heifers and 1 cow calved so far. Smallest this season was one of the twins at 66.

Supa Dexta":3od3ms1y said:
55 is the smallest Ive had.

This year out of only 5 calves so far my avg is 94.8lbs, and a set of twins knocked that down. 3 heifers and 1 cow calved so far. Smallest this season was one of the twins at 66.

Our average is right around 94 as well on 14 head so far. 12 cows, 2 heifers. Heifers both had 90+ lb calves on their own. The smallest I can remember was 42 lbs, I believe it weaned over 500 lbs tho.

This little calf is the first out of some heifers we are custom calving. Due Apr 5...

Can it nurse the dam, or is destined to be a bottle calf?
The only Angus cow we have throws tiny babies; her first was 49 pounds out of a Simmental bull (Beef Maker) and full term, and weaned off at 554 pounds. Her second was 51 pounds and out of a Simmental bull (Chopper), and will be weaned in a few weeks. She goes full term, just has little calves. But they grow. These are both the smallest calves we have ever had born at our place. Even our twins are born heavier (we have had 4 sets in our lifetime)!
She is the one I pictured earlier that has blood red colostrum both years. I think that is normal for her also! She is sired by Pioneer out of a Future Direction dam.

I don't know if it will be able to nurse the dam or not. Haven't been up to it this morning yet (DH fed it again) It will be a stretch for it though, lol... I sure hope it isn't going to be a bottle calf!

About 10 or 12 years ago I had a first time heifer drop a 28lb heifer calf. She was normal in every way, got up and nursed in normal time, stayed on the cow until weaning. When I first saw the calf in the calving pasture I remember walking out to check to see if she was a bull or heifer so I could prepare to tag her and give her shots, ect. I was shocked how small she was, pick her up and decided to go to the bathroom scales to weigh her, I carried her with one arm, I was thinking she was more like a dog then a calf. She weaned out at around 225, I gave her to some friends, my cattle mentor and his wife, in 4 yrs she was 800lbs and they ate her. The cow threw normal but light weaning calves, 2 more after "tiny", then the cow grew wheels.

wow.. 4 years to get 800 lbs? probably of tough meat too.. I had a nice first time heifer wean a dink last year.. it was a little heifer, I think it weaned in the 300's somewhere.. I think she may have had something amiss with her digestion, she'd slobber cud often.. Cow better do better this year..

Nesikep":14e2o0cr said:
wow.. 4 years to get 800 lbs? probably of tough meat too.. I had a nice first time heifer wean a dink last year.. it was a little heifer, I think it weaned in the 300's somewhere.. I think she may have had something amiss with her digestion, she'd slobber cud often.. Cow better do better this year..

Curious to why you beleive the meat is tough?

We had one the other day that was about 35lbs. Little heifer that came from one of my smaller heifers, about 750lbs. Bred to an angus bull. This is the first batch of calves from this bull and all have been on the small side, the biggest one is about 55lbs. All are doing well and growing fast.

Today was a bad day. The last 3-4 days he was going down hill, meds didn't help him anymore, and this morning he wouldn't eat. Took him to the vet, with hopes (but knowing the reality) and she told me what I expected deep down. Poor little guy, he was such a fighter, and it really sucks when the spirit is stronger than the body :cry: . We made the decision to put him down. :cry: