Small Sweetgum trees

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
What is the most ECONOMICAL way to kill these little suckers? They are about knee high right now. I hit a spot w/ a little 2,4d and they curled a little. Should I bushhog then spray the new growth? I want to do it as cheap as possible...

2-4D won't kill them. You will have to use Grazon and Remedy mixed together. Or Surmount and Remedy.

Be carfull though. If they are sprouts from a larger tree that came up off the roots of the larger tree you can kill the larger tree.

Bama, will Grazon alone kill them? I've got some of that. They're not around other trees, just patches throughout the pasture. Just picked up this new place and it needs alot of TLC...

Arkieman":3aznlib6 said:
Bama, will Grazon alone kill them? I've got some of that. They're not around other trees, just patches throughout the pasture. Just picked up this new place and it needs alot of TLC...

Grazon may not but remedy will. I've had Graon kill some bushes and trees and others not even affect them. Remedy affects them all.

Depending on how many patches you have, you can clip them off and put Tordon RTU right on the stump. Tordon is cheap and a little dab will do. It's like squeezing out dish washing detergent.

Roundup will kill Sweetgum. Anybody that says it won't is wrong. It's still relatively cheap even though it's a lot higher than last year. Wet all the leaves. dyates is right about the Tordon RTU. If the tree is too tall to get roundup on all the leaves, cut it down and put Tordon RTU on the growth ring of the stump. Try not to spill it on the ground. Better yet, buy Tordon 101 and make your own Tordon RTU. Much cheaper that way.

I'd clip them off close to the ground and pour concentrated (unmixed) round-up right on the stump. It'll kill the roots and prevent sprouts from comin back. My grandpa always said that you could take a copper rivet and drive it in a tree to kill it. Don't know how long that would take though

Freddie":sej1em0t said:
I'd clip them off close to the ground and pour concentrated (unmixed) round-up right on the stump. It'll kill the roots and prevent sprouts from comin back. My grandpa always said that you could take a copper rivet and drive it in a tree to kill it. Don't know how long that would take though

Freddie..don't know about a rivet but a good dose of copper sulfate watered in around the trunk will kill a big post oak or a pine.

You can take a quart of Roundup mixed with water and kill 1 acre of Sweetgums. I've done it countless times. Sprayed on. I'm not into cuttimg knee high trees and pouring concentrate on whats left.

ga. prime":29zma7hz said:
You can take a quart of Roundup mixed with water and kill 1 acre of Sweetgums. I've done it countless times. Sprayed on. I'm not into cuttimg knee high trees and pouring concentrate on whats left.

Well I stand amazed. Would never have thought roundup at a qt. to the acre would kill sweet gum.

Grazon = Tardon and 2-4D
Crossbow = Remedy and 2-4D

If roundup will do it, at a qt/acre that is about $8/acre but it will also kill the grass around it. Remedy at a pt/acre should also kill it but won't hurt the grass at about $12.5/acre.
Roundup is about $80/2.5 gal.
Remedy is about $100/1 gal.

alabama":24r68vle said:
. Remedy at a pt/acre should also kill it but won't hurt the grass at about $12.5/acre.

But it will kill clover.

They're just pockets of them, so I'll probably spot spray. BUT in those pockets they are THICK! I don't think the chemical would reach the grass underneath. I may just go w/ the Roundup. I know it's impossible to have the perfect pasture this year (or next), I hope to peck at it a little at a time.....

I don't know how extensive an area you are talking about but a couple of goats would clean em out as well. Possibly even cattle would eat the vegetation. Mine would but I can't speake for everybody.

bush hog em and let em come back to be grazed again and you will pretty quickly kill em just by grazing.

I've got a hill on my place that was cutover and I converted it to pasture about 17 years ago. I still get sweetgums every year from the old roots, buckeyes, too. Ground has been fertilized, grazed, bushhogged, and the trees spot sprayed with roundup. They keep coming back. Cows will graze out the tops but thats just giving them a light pruning that stimulates more growth. Now, if somebody has a good idea for eradicating privet, I'd sure like to know.

Well I had a handfull of goats that were my land clearing crew back in the day.

They would stand and chew on a sapling til it died. If taking the leaves off was not sufficient then they would strip the bark. Over time I cleaned up 12 acres with three goats and a few kids.

Hit the sweetgum & some blackberry briars yesterday evening w/ some Roundup! Time will tell.....

Well tried the roundup and it seems to be hit and miss. I'd say gets about 80%, but some survive. I've bought some Remedy. My question is, should I just spray them standing (knee high to head high) or bush hog first, then spray when they come back? I was thinking spray them standing - more folage to soak up the chemical?

Latest posts