Small simple corral/alley plans

Help Support CattleToday:

Nicklausjames

Reaction score
Want to build a small alley w head gate at the end. Looking for some simple plans. Also how wide should the alley be?

I got a little place rented, that joins me. It came with a little working pen. It ain't very big, but it works good. I've actually made a bunch more use of it, then I thought I would. I'll have to doodle a little sketch of it later. Stuff seems to flow pretty good through it.

Drawing looks like crap, but maybe you get the picture. I've never used anything this small, till I got this place. I was just thinking the other day, how easy it was to use. I don't know how many head you could get in it, but not many. I put my mineral in it, and I've been sorting off a few calves to wean in it.

That's very similar to my portable unit. I have a medina gate with a guillotine gate on the end going into the chute. The 24 foot is 40 on mine and your entry comes off of the front corner.

here is a basic layout of mine when Im not working cows , I load out thru the head gate

When I work them I just put up a few panels to direct them back into the pens. It works for me and I have worked 40 pair thru it before the main catch area is 20x40 approx.

M-5":1y9etv34 said:
here is a basic layout of mine when Im not working cows , I load out thru the head gate

When I work them I just put up a few panels to direct them back into the pens. It works for me and I have worked 40 pair thru it before the main catch area is 20x40 approx.

Mine's quite a bit like that. Do you work them in to the smaller holding pen moving along the "bottom" part or around what is drawn as the 'top' half? (drawings never seem to do justice to how a pen looks and actually works)
You have any trouble keeping them from all balling up in the extreme upper right corner instead of turning right & going into the holding area just to the right of the crowd gate?

Upper pen is just first catch and where I turn worked ones back into. The right center square pen is where I put them then put about 10 in the small pen besde head gate and the sweep alley will hold 3 or 4 cows easy . once worked most go left back to top pen if I need some cut out for another reason I turn them right to that pen to hold them

Latest posts