Small Scale Ranching

Help Support CattleToday:

Small farm/ranch= one that you cannot justify the expense of buying the equipment you would really like to have. Can't afford to hire labor to help out. Really wish you were bigger.

Large=one that you have to have the equipment and wish you didn't because you are just working to make payments. Wish you didn't have to hire labor. Really wish you were smaller.

Ryder":242fadnx said:
Small farm/ranch= one that you cannot justify the expense of buying the equipment you would really like to have. Can't afford to hire labor to help out. Really wish you were bigger.

Large=one that you have to have the equipment and wish you didn't because you are just working to make payments. Wish you didn't have to hire labor. Really wish you were smaller.

Jeepers Ryder, I am both!! :shock:

:lol: :lol:

ALX

Ryder":2e582uzh said:

I think you hit it better than anybody else. "Small" is where you can run the whole place by yourself and still have time for a 30-60 hour a week job. "Medium" is where you have to run it full time; but don't have enough gross income to really hire full time help.....without getting a full time job yourself and "Large" is where you need for beef prices to jump 3 cents a pound so you can afford to meet your payroll obligations next month.

Angus/Brangus":357dh0hp said:
Brandonm2":357dh0hp said:
I think you hit it better than anybody else. "Small" is where you can run the whole place by yourself and still have time for a 30-60 hour a week job. "Medium" is where you have to run it full time; but don't have enough gross income to really hire full time help.....without getting a full time job yourself and "Large" is where you need for beef prices to jump 3 cents a pound so you can afford to meet your payroll obligations next month.

I think your onto something here. O.k. so, what's a small but fun operation?

The one where the wife makes the money and you tend the cows.

Which reminds me I need to call the wife or she may be late for work. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Angus/Brangus":24shprb5 said:
I think your onto something here. O.k. so, what's a small but fun operation?

THAT is a hard one. How about a ranch where all the day to day ranch work can be handled by the hot trophy wife while you are driving the fat oil well check down to the bank in your Caddillac pickup truck???

Sir Loin":2dni5szu said:
CB,
Re:
:lol2: In West Texas that would be about a 3 or 4 cow operation.
And in Alaska, which is bigger then all of Texas,:lol2: :lol2: 100 acres would be a 0 cow operation.
What's your point?
SL

Your the one that thought a 100 acre operation was big so I guess the joke was on you.

We consider ourselves a small time operation. Small acreage, small barn, small pens, small (by other folks standards) pastures and small operating expenses. No debt and the cows pay for themselves (still don't have to get a town job) and we even have some positive numbers on the Sch-F.
I believe that the size of the operation isn't the measure of its
solvency but the way the business plan is followed and adapted as necessary.
To darn old to start planning on expanding...heck, we're planning our retirement. Probably aim the motor home south and visit all the folks that have invited us for a visit....can't miss the barge...we're the one with a winking cow on the sides and rear of the vehicle.
Back to my origional thought...the size of the spread/farm/ranch/place should be measured by how well it is managed not how many aces are between the fences. Good land use, good forage, rotation and healthy well conditioned animals that are stocked in porportion to the land condition are a better measure of the business.
And that's my two bits worth...asked for or not....DMc

Hmm, Your as big as a barn or take up five acres? :lol: :lol:

Must be some trophy! 8) ;-)

AngusLimoX":17hpnf16 said:
Caustic Burno":17hpnf16 said:
Your the one that thought a 100 acre operation was big so I guess the joke was on you.

Can one barn on 5 acres can be a big operation?

ALX

It can, IF you got 3400 sows in those barns.

how much land you have or cattle doesnt matter.nor does what people consider small med or large herd sizes.its the number of acres an cattle that you have.an thats the size farm your comfy running.no matter if its big or small.personally i can handle 40 cows or less.

Brandonm2":36wq6f2b said:
AngusLimoX":36wq6f2b said:
Caustic Burno":36wq6f2b said:

Can one barn on 5 acres can be a big operation?

ALX

It can, IF you got 3400 sows in those barns.

Yup, exactly. I was thinking 800 feeders but you piggy guys can oink in once in a while.

:lol:

ALX

Well, we certainly have a small operation and probably always will. However, I don't think we have any negative impact on the large operations.

1. We raise purebred cattle with a specific goal in mind and strive for the best quality animal, (based on health, soundness, and vigor; not trends).

2. We sell live animals privately or slaughter for family consumption.

3. We take advice from the local cattlemen, (we're active in the local Cattleman's Association), and conform our feeding practices to what is typical for our area.

4. We have good handling facilities and keep our animals wormed, vaccinated and the flies under control.

5. We did a lot of research before buying the first animal, (I even took several animal science classes in college to gain a basic understanding of how to raise livestock because I did not have family members with that knowledge).

6. We work hard at pasture maintenance and continue to look for ways to improve.

I agree that small producers need to be responsible caretakers of their animals and the industry.

flaboy?":25mjm89g said:
Small - those ranches with cows you can pet.

Medium - those ranches that have a cow or two you can pet.

Large - those ranches that you don't dare get off of the horse when you ride into the cow herd.

That is an excellent way of phrasing things. Around here a large herd is 75-100 with most people running under 50 cows. Even those with 50-75 cows also have to either farm or have a job off of the ranch to make it work.

Even those with 50-75 cows also have to either farm or have a job off of the ranch to make it work.

I asked the hubby the other day how many cows would it take for him to cut back on his work hours.... he works 65-70 hours a week as a farmhand. But he enjoys the work.

We've got 55 cows, will keep 9-10 heifers this year and I'd like to buy about 10-15 old cows in third period this November.... don't know if we'll ever get out of "hobby farmer" status.

Latest posts