Small Scale Ranching

Help Support CattleToday:

vs_cattle

Reaction score
Whats the best number to be classified as a small scale rancher to some 100-200 animals is small but I want to know whats the real small scale rancher number is it 20-40 or lower 15-25

vs_cattle":1dwatg2k said:
sorry what I ment was what number is associated with small scale ranching

Oh, I see! The answer would be "Pretty much whatever you want it to be"

depends on where you live, in this area a small cattle farmer is 20 or less momma cows. a big rancher is 100 or more.
i guess we are medium 40 cows.

No matter the size or numbers just tell folks you "play around" with cows.

That's what most folks here - no matter the numbers tell others.

Bez>

Alabama is similar to Jarkie in Arkansas. 15 brood cows or less is considered "small", 15-80 is "medium", and 80 or more is BIG. Even in the "BIG" category, most cattlemen have jobs or other businesses.

vs_cattle":1ljpxlqu said:
Whats the best number to be classified as a small scale rancher to some 100-200 animals is small but I want to know whats the real small scale rancher number is it 20-40 or lower 15-25

Texas A&M put out stats on this a few years back I don't remember the exact percentages.
The average herd in Texas was 20 to 22.
There were fewer than 5% running over a 100 head.
Also only a very small percentage were under 50 in age.

Small - those ranches with cows you can pet.

Medium - those ranches that have a cow or two you can pet.

Large - those ranches that you don't dare get off of the horse when you ride into the cow herd.

flaboy?":12fspv2o said:
Small - those ranches with cows you can pet.

Medium - those ranches that have a cow or two you can pet.

Large - those ranches that you don't dare get off of the horse when you ride into the cow herd.

:lol: :lol:

I AI'd 10 cows a couple of weeks ago, at night I was tired and sore enough to feel like a big time outfit. Now that the cows are done, lots of grass and it's the clean up bulls turn, I have enough time to dream and plan on future cattle..... I'm small again.... what a vicious cycle. :D

Alan

I think I may have read the report Caustic mentioned when I was working on our ranch's business plan. I want to say that I read somewhere that nation-wide the average rancher raises less than 50 head of cattle on fewer than 100 acres.

Was at a seminar a few years ago and listened to several speakers......... from Feedlot operators to Packing house reps, Producers, and all in between.

Their whole message was that small time ranching is ruining the cattle industry as we know it.

In no particular order (from memory)

1-They usually have no working facilities therefore have no health program and raise calves that have high mortality/death rates after they leave the farm. (Everyone, large and small ranches alike pay for the risks that buyers take)

2-Most rob the calves off the cows when they need a few dollars, take them to the sale barn, and are satisfied with the price paid whether it pays the bills or not. (NO marketing)

3-Buy high priced feed in the bag, thus pushing the price up for everyone. Same goes for seed and fertilizer.

4-Usually have crossbred mongrels with inconsistant carcass qualities because of the cheap bulls purchased and/or retained, plus the replacements raised that shouldn't be on the farm to start with.

These guys were merely trying to push the small producer into doing a better job.

vs_cattle":1416t0q9 said:
so small scale ranching could be a way you run you operation to I guess not just your number your running

I would think a serious answer would be if you do it full time to provide for your family living it's big time. If you have to have a second income (are away from the ranch 40 hrs a week) it's small time It's up to the individual to decide how much they want to work on their "small time" ranch.

JMO,
Alan

MikeC":2k4xfka2 said:
Was at a seminar a few years ago and listened to several speakers......... from Feedlot operators to Packing house reps, Producers, and all in between.

Their whole message was that small time ranching is ruining the cattle industry as we know it.

1-They usually have no working facilities therefore have no health program and raise calves that have high mortality/death rates after they leave the farm. (Everyone, large and small ranches alike pay for the risks that buyers take)

2-Most rob the calves off the cows when they need a few dollars, take them to the sale barn, and are satisfied with the price paid whether it pays the bills or not. (NO marketing)

3-Buy high priced feed in the bag, thus pushing the price up for everyone. Same goes for seed and fertilizer.

4-Usually have crossbred mongrels with inconsistant carcass qualities because of the cheap bulls purchased and/or retained, plus the replacements raised that shouldn't be on the farm to start with.

These guys were merely trying to push the small producer into doing a better job.

Mike;

Thanks for noting these points. For me anyway they are thought provoking. This is a great site to learn from.

Jon

MissouriExile":394phhy7 said:
MikeC":394phhy7 said:

Mike;

Thanks for noting these points. For me anyway they are thought provoking. This is a great site to learn from.

Jon

This is one of the main reasons you see the crusty's giving the rookies a fit. It doesn't matter if you have 10 cows or a 100 learn to operate as a business.

MikeC":3pnvcjyi said:

Seems like most(but not all) of the guys around me fit this bill. I drive by these places and I see the same, bad pasture...mostly weeds, ribs showing on the cows, only about half the cows with calves, jack-leg fencing and working corrals. As much as I need the ag exemption, I believe it's part of the cause for these bad operators.

I believe this was presented as a packer view of a few - Small producers made this countries beef industry as did smaller and more packers in the business. There was a time when these packers had representatives that came to the farmer/rancher looked over your cattle and asked to ship them to the yards at certian times. I don't believe this is happening these days.

I also dont see how someone can just drive by somoene elses operation and be ablet o tell how successful they are.

I have heard both sides on here. If you have well fed cattle you must be a hobby farmer and feeding them extra with no regard to cost.

If your cattle are abit skinny you must be a hobby farmer because youa re doing something wrong.

Different strokes for different folks. What pens me into the black may or may not work for you, but you certainly cant judge a book or a ranch by the cover.