Small Inline Square Balers

Help Support CattleToday:

BlackBaldyMan

Reaction score
we have a case 8520 i think (don't hold it to me) amazing machine never has broken down and will throw any bales only problem is the hitch which you have to get a special attachment

Welp there is another option, also found that Freeman makes (well they are bought out now but..) one as well, hmm, thank you very much Glover, have a nice variety to look for now.

BlackBaldyMan":355m2wx9 said:
What is your guy's take on them? We are looking at them, and have found right away that the Cat Challenger series, Massey Fergusens, and Hesstons are all made by AGCO. Anyone running any of these 3?

I would guess it just depends on what dealership is in your neck of the woods and what color paint you want? Thanks. :cboy:

http://www.masseyferguson.com/agco/MF/NA/HayForage/1800SRB.htm

http://www.kellytractor.com/eng/images/pdf/C02101_SmSqBalers.pdf

I have one of the new massey inlines. It has been flawlsess. This is my third year with it, and it is also my first baler so I cant compare it. I use an accumalator behind it and makes it so nice to keep everything in a straight line.

I have used both the heston and the New Holland 3 string balers. I think the Heston has a little faster stroke recovery, but the wider pickup (about 16 inches wider) on the Hew Holland more than makes up for differance in speed. The differance might work out to a couple of bales per hour.
I bale about 40K bales per year with very little breakdown. The only problems I have is when I try to push the baler in grain hay, I tend to break needles.
However, New Holland will not be making any more small balers as of last season.

Depends on what you mean by 'small' bales. If you are talking three tie 15x22" bales, then the Hesston is what you want. No other small baler even comes close. If you don't mind a conventional baler, then the Freeman 370 is a good baler, but for an inline 3 tie, go with the Hesston. Unmatched capacity and durabiltiy. We run big bales now, but how I wish the Hesstons were around when we did small bales!

As far a two tie goes, I don't know. None around here anymore.

These will be 2 tie, ~60-70lb second cutting grass hay, and want the inline for bale pickup reasons. I know Freeman makes a good baler, we are using a self propelled freeman 100 to bale right now but its not working with the way we mow hay, thanks for the advice.

BlackBaldyMan":s4fb32yu said:
Hey Hersh, just out of curiosity how many bales do you put through it a year, and what model/size bales are you making? Thanks!

Kevin this year weather permitting I will put about 5k 70lb+ bales through it. Tired of making 45-50lb bales and the accumalator like them heavy. Mine is the massey 1835, its the smallest of the series. Puts out a 18x14 bale. I got mine 3 years ago for 14k.

BlackBaldyMan":3kqqia8m said:
What is your guy's take on them? We are looking at them, and have found right away that the Cat Challenger series, Massey Fergusens, and Hesstons are all made by AGCO. Anyone running any of these 3?

I would guess it just depends on what dealership is in your neck of the woods and what color paint you want? Thanks. :cboy:

http://www.masseyferguson.com/agco/MF/NA/HayForage/1800SRB.htm

http://www.kellytractor.com/eng/images/pdf/C02101_SmSqBalers.pdf

I have had them for the last 14 years, just bought my second one two years ago. They make the best bale of any baler, the Deeres will bale a little faster I think.

BlackBaldyMan":1n03muo4 said:
Great, thanks Hersh and Hayray
Baling1.jpg

hayray":2tmxco5o said:
BlackBaldyMan":2tmxco5o said:
This one is the 4590 Hesston which is the highest capacity machine in the series out of three. The mid and highest capacity models both have 93 strokes per minute plunger and a wide pick-up. The highest model has one more tine bar on the pick up and 2 extra plunger rollers, it makes the plunger much stronger and really increases the capacity. I had the mid capacity model before.

Does that make the 16x18 or the 14x18? I am guessing the 16x18 because you said it is the heaviest built. If so, is it really worth the extra money for the heavier machine? Thanks

BlackBaldyMan":jh74olnx said:
Does that make the 16x18 or the 14x18? I am guessing the 16x18 because you said it is the heaviest built. If so, is it really worth the extra money for the heavier machine? Thanks

That is the 14 x 18 inch, that is what is called a small square bale, the next size is the commercial bale and I have heard it called several different names.

hayray":euzqvxvj said:
BlackBaldyMan":euzqvxvj said:
Baling1.jpg

Hayray
What is that trailer called? How many bales does it hold? I have never seen anything like that before. We use a hoelsher accumulator behind a deere 348. Load and unload with a tractor 85% of the time.

That is a EZ Trail bale basket. It holds about 100 bales and then it is towed with a vehicle up to a unloading point where a lever is pulled and all the hay dumps out the back.

Latest posts