Small grains in pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Probably been discussed before.
Has anyone tried no-tilling WW into grazed pastures or hay fields to generate a bit more high quality fall/winter forage? I have acouple of fields I had thought of trying it on so that I could save the stockpiled fescue for later in the winter.
The thought process goes like this. Plant WW in July with a little rain should be able to graze it by September/October. Then hay it in the spring as a mixture of grass and WW. If we can getr it off early enough that should allow the fescue and OG to grow to grazable length in june/july.
Any thoughts/comments/etc.?

dun

Works for us Dun except we substitute clover for fescue.

On dry years the seeding of WW is hit and miss. Last year it was dry enough the WW was frosted before we could get much use out of it. Cows love it though. Shoves our hay feeding back into late december if we are lucky.

Dun

It has been my observation that wheat, rye, etc that are notilled into grass sod are slow to establish & usually produce little forage in the fall but really take off in the spring. Seems the only way to get fall pasture is to plant with at least a small amount of tillage. Down here folks will disc the sod very lightly & drill the wheat. Not sure what might work in your area. Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Latest posts