SLOW CALF

Help Support CattleToday:

stroker88

Reaction score
HI......CALF IS ABOUT 9 DAYS OLD ..it's from a 1st calf moma ........she is about24 months......calf was on ground for about 5 days weak & slow.......i got mom & baby put in corral ....gave baby la 200 3.3 ml 1st day......then 2 ml 2nd & 3 rd day......calf was doing better so i let it & mom out with rest of herd........this afternoon i saw calf laying alone .......it is sick again......calf has not been nursing very much......she was limp as i put her & mom back in corral........did i take her off la 200 to soon?...........she is a very small calf even at birth...she was little......i know some 1st calfs dont do to well........mom is trying to be a good mom............what about bottle feeding.....whats the best stuff other than mom milk /......?
thanks for all who reply...... :(

Is the momma producing enough milk? Sounds like you may need to bottle feed. If momma is doing a good job of letting calf nurse but just doesn't have enough milk then you could leave them together and just supplement with bottle. DO NOT scimp on the type of replacer. Very important to use good stuff. It won't take long for the little one to be meeting you at the fence once she figures out you give milk.

If your pastures are anything like ours in central Texas then maybe you need to be supplementing the cows as well, if you already aren't. Keep us updated on your course of action and the calfs improvement.
GOOD LUCK!

THANKS GUYS.......I have other cows with newborns [ no trouble]......someone said not to mix LA 200 with any type of penicillin.......now not sure if i need to stop the treatment of la 200 & go with the penicillin..........i did give a new shot of la 200..........2.0 ml..........this afternoon...........also moma has milk.........what am i lookin for with a replacement type of milk/.....?.........just hate to see a small one go down?......thanks again :(

Why are you giving antibiotics? You left that part out. I suppose you have a reason? Give some probiotics now.

Texan":3g30gz86 said:
Why are you giving antibiotics? You left that part out. I suppose you have a reason? Give some probiotics now.

And maybe selenium

dun

Did the calf get colostrum???? I like to use Wet Nurse for milk replacer. is it scouring?????

I agree with farmgirl , sometimes with a first calf heifer, the heifer and the calf are a little dumb and you need to help them and make sure the calf is drinking good before letting them back out. I'm not sure why you are giving it antibiotics , if it doesn't have scours or a fever it shouldn't need them

Latest posts