Slaw Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy-

Reaction score
I was watching a show on Discovery or like channel about the old hot dog stands still operating. Got my mouth to watering so I cooked some up on the grill. It got me to thinking I would really like some coleslaw on my hot dog.

Now the 64 million dollar question is - is a slaw dog a northern thing or a southern thing? I say southern thing. I think the kraut dogs are a northern thing.

I think your right! Kraut is a condiment, and coleslaw is a side dish up here. Coleslaw up here can come both ways also, creamy or not.

i had always thought of coleslaw as a side dish. then i was in arkansas last spring and they were putting cole slaw on chopped beef sandwiches. took me a while to try it but it was surprisingly good. i would have to say it is a southeastern thing.

Ryan":2efpzem2 said:
i had always thought of coleslaw as a side dish. then i was in arkansas last spring and they were putting cole slaw on chopped beef sandwiches. took me a while to try it but it was surprisingly good. i would have to say it is a southeastern thing.

You never put slaw on a BBQ sandwich where you live? Man, that is the best, I have been missing it like crazy this last year.

Ryan,
Are you talking about the Arkansas Texas Longhorn Assoc? I was there in at their spring show and they had barbecue beef and slaw. That's good stuff. Around here slaw definitely goes on a barbecue sandwich-had some on the 4th.

A friend of mine eats his dogs with slaw and tomatoes, calls them "Chicago Dogs". Slaw belongs on barbecue.

Over here it is a side dish mainly with a salad, but it is nice on a sandwich instead of butter and on a jacket potato, but now I will have to try it on a hotdog, and see what you are all talking about.

cfpinz":3juhjrmi said:
A friend of mine eats his dogs with slaw and tomatoes, calls them "Chicago Dogs". Slaw belongs on barbecue.

Maters belong only a very few places:
1) In a salad
2) On a grilled burger
3) On a baloney sandwich made on white bread

Bullbuyer":il495ik5 said:
cfpinz":il495ik5 said:

Maters belong only a very few places:
1) In a salad
2) On a grilled burger
3) On a baloney sandwich made on white bread

if by Maters you are refering to 'Tommies' they are good anywhere anytime with anything and on their own, deeeeeeelishous :p

Rustler9":30b48e48 said:
Ryan,
Are you talking about the Arkansas Texas Longhorn Assoc? I was there in at their spring show and they had barbecue beef and slaw. That's good stuff. Around here slaw definitely goes on a barbecue sandwich-had some on the 4th.

thats the one i was talking about. i didnt make it this year, but did last year, and i've been most other years, and that was the first time i'd seen that. It was good stuff, but not something i would go out of my way to make or have.

As far as tomatoes, well, they go on .......... nothing.

Tomatoes-love em. Especially big, ripe slices on white bread, salt and pepper and mayonnaise. Mater sandwich. Yum. How about some fried green tomatoes? Good enough to make you slap your granny. :)

A quick run-down of slaw;

Bar-B-Que slaw is cabbage, sweet vinegar, and the occasional onion.

Coleslaw(side dish) is cabbage. carrots, maters optional, and mayo.

Slaw Dog, is cabbage, pepper rings, and maybe a mater with mayo.

flaboy-":2adnik21 said:
Now the 64 million dollar question is - is a slaw dog a northern thing or a southern thing? I say southern thing. I think the kraut dogs are a northern thing.

Never seen that, but I'm gonna try it. Around here its kraut dogs and chili cheese dogs.

cmjust0":1qzpel81 said:
Rustler9":1qzpel81 said:
Good enough to make you slap your granny.

But will it make yer tongue slap yer brains out? :lol:

I am SO enjoying my home grown maters!

Why is it that store bought maters are so nasty and home grown maters are so darn good?

Latest posts