Loud dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Greybeard's thread got me to thinking about dog in general. I have a 13 year old Australian Sheppard that everyone in the community hates or is afraid of. When people come to the door (myself included!) she makes a fair bit of noise. The noise lasts longer when it's someone she doesn't know. Probably a minute or two. Most people are quite afraid of her. But the only person she ever bit was my wife's cousin. The dog was in the box of my truck, pitching a bit of a fit when he came walking up. He stuck his hand out to her in the box of the truck and she bit him. I told him that what he did was a foolish thing to do, as she was guarding her property. I'm not a believer in having dogs that bite, but I figure if they are doing their job then all bets are off. This is a dog that after they people come in the house and she finishes pitching her fit she lays down on their feet and goes to sleep.
Really, I like a dog that is a bit protective, but maybe that's just me. Thoughts?

My dogs bark and bite at your tires when you pull into the yard. But I don't think they've bit anyone besides my wife. And the one that did is no longer part of our family. I've always had fairly aggressive dogs and would kennel them when someone came in the yard. But now I don't even have one that will catch you if I tell them to. Your dog sounds perfect to me Silver.

Your dog sounds almost exactly like our Australian Cattle Dog. She barks and let's us know if somebody comes around or something out of the ordinary. She has the bluff in on a lot of people and its not really a bluff she means business. I kind of like having a dog like that as a first line of defense her reputation is pretty well known.

We have a pembroke corgi, a kelpie and a labrador. The corgi carries on like she's gunna tear your ankles apart and people refuse to get out their cars. But if they do she rolls on her back. I don't like aggresive dogs at all, i had to rescue my nephew once from my brothers dog that was eyeing him up. He was part dingo and they can't be trained against their instincts. My brother ended up getting rid of him, wont say but i reckon he had a scare at some point. That dog could keep up with you along side the motorbike doing a touch over 60kmh.

Wouldn't keep a dog with a bad disposition anymore than I'd keep a cow with one. Barking to alert is fine. Biting--'nother story...

I want one that barks at anything that moves, and gives a full unmistakable impression that it will bite anything that makes the wrong move.

(I'm just over halfway there with the one I have now.... )

i've had a few very aggressive dogs.. maremmas to be exact.. they are sure nice to keep everyone out.. but the bad thing is a lot of people are really stupid and don't understand.. "hey.that dog seems pretty mean".. so they just keep coming or try to pet them and then they get attacked. how stupid do you have to be to keep coming at 2-3 dogs running at you full speed with teeth showing.. I just don't get it.. I'd be jumping over a fence.. but nah.. most people.. OH LOOK.. THEY WANT TO LICK US I THINK!!!

best thing is a locked gate with 2-3 dogs going nuts behind it..

I had a Dalmatian that would never bark or growl but would show her teeth whenever she greeted you. Thing is she was smiling and would hardly bite a biscuit because she loved everyone. People that didn't know her wouldn't get out of the car until I had her controlled. I loved it when the asphalt gypsies would stay in their truck and honk until they got tired and left. I won't have one that will bite unless told to.

slick4591 said:
I had a Dalmatian that would never bark or growl but would show her teeth whenever she greeted you. Thing is she was smiling and would hardly bite a biscuit because she loved everyone. People that didn't know her wouldn't get out of the car until I had her controlled. I loved it when the asphalt gypsies would stay in their truck and honk until they got tired and left. I won't have one that will bite unless told to.[/quote]

That's what I like in a dog.

My dog (mostly Border Collie) has only barked twice that I know of . Once when there was a bear in the pasture. The other time there was a bobcat in the field. She loves people but she will tear a cow a new one.

The people I bought this place from had a couple Australian Shepard's and a heeler that raise he77 when I would pull in. The owners were either here or would pen the dogs up when we came on a scheduled visit when they would be gone. So about a week before they moved out I had to come down and sign some papers. So I started out early in the morning to drive down here. The realtor called about an hour into my 4 hour drive to tell me he would leave the papers with the seller. I knew the seller would not be home based on a previous conversation I had with them. I told him just leave them on the work bench in the shop and I would pick them up there. A couple hours later he called and told me he left the papers where we agreed but to watch out for the dogs. He had to fend them off with a pitch fork to get into and out of the shop. I stopped and picked up a stout limb before I got here. They bit my tires coming down the drive. I parked so my car, the car door, and the shop had three sides blocked. Only one step into the shop and it was a good thing I had that club. I got to thinking later that I left my car door open while I was in there getting the papers. I am glad one of those dogs didn't climb into my car.

After moving here I found out that all of the neighbors had run ins with those dogs. Several had been bit. I simply won't have a biting dog. Announcing arrivals is one thing. Biting people is an instance death sentence.

My dog barked at stubborn cattle, or if I was working cattle without her. Until the cattle were where they were supposed to be (a few minutes). Rural area.

She's dead. Within three weeks of a neighbour threatening to have her taken off me for barking too much. Going by the letter he sent, he thought every audible dog in the neighbourhood was her.
I can't handle noise myself, so it's pretty ironic that she was as quiet a dog as you'd find on a farm. Wouldn't have minded if she had given a bit more warning of people coming around.

Silver":3dugylt5 said:
Greybeard's thread got me to thinking about dog in general. I have a 13 year old Australian Sheppard that everyone in the community hates or is afraid of. When people come to the door (myself included!) she makes a fair bit of noise. The noise lasts longer when it's someone she doesn't know. Probably a minute or two. Most people are quite afraid of her. But the only person she ever bit was my wife's cousin. The dog was in the box of my truck, pitching a bit of a fit when he came walking up. He stuck his hand out to her in the box of the truck and she bit him. I told him that what he did was a foolish thing to do, as she was guarding her property. I'm not a believer in having dogs that bite, but I figure if they are doing their job then all bets are off. This is a dog that after they people come in the house and she finishes pitching her fit she lays down on their feet and goes to sleep.
Really, I like a dog that is a bit protective, but maybe that's just me. Thoughts?
my next dog if there is one, will be a Australian Shepard.. two of the best dogs I ever had,that were worth their keep..

I have and Australian Shepard and have had several over the years. I think they are one of the best farm dogs I ever had, The one I got now and the others you could pen them up with the chickens and they would not hurt them one requirement for a dog on my place is it had better not bother the other stock and chickens are included. I had one 30 yrs. ago that would take my son by hand and lead him around the yard when he barely was big enough to walk. He loved that boy and my son loved his dog. I also have a Mountain Cur now and he is probably the smartest dog I ever owned.

Never had a biting dog. Used to quite often get neighbor's walking past house down the main road on a regular walk with small kids and their own dogs. If you had a dog that ran the 100 feet to the road and started biting anything, especially kids, you would find out how good your farm liability insurance is in a big hurry. I sure don't need even a mildly aggressive dog, that is what a gun is for - to persuade those that know better and convince those that don't.

One of my dogs, Lab/Greyhound mix, will scare the bejesus outta people with his ferocious bark. And he will take down a coyote, beaver, you name it, but is truly as gentle as they come, especially around kids. Great security/alarm system around here! My other Lab will greet people with a muffled bark, only because he's also carrying a toy & wants them to play.

Would never have a biting dog. Or want to deal with the potential liability. Constant barking isn't really an issue around here - our closest neighbor is over a mile away.

regolith":1etek9zq said:
My dog barked at stubborn cattle, or if I was working cattle without her. Until the cattle were where they were supposed to be (a few minutes). Rural area.

She's dead. Within three weeks of a neighbour threatening to have her taken off me for barking too much. Going by the letter he sent, he thought every audible dog in the neighbourhood was her.
I can't handle noise myself, so it's pretty ironic that she was as quiet a dog as you'd find on a farm. Wouldn't have minded if she had given a bit more warning of people coming around.

Sorry you lost your dog. Natural causes not your neighbor I hope?
Did I ever ask you whereabouts you are in NZ? Spent 2 wks there last year. Beautiful country but we arrived during that big storm/flood.

Latest posts