Slaughter ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkansas

Reaction score
Whats it usaully cost to slaughter a cow and have the meat cut up etc.. Because around here the butcher shop charges 9.97 a pound for t-bone's and thats kinda exspensive considering what walmart charges around here.. I know were talking a major corporate super store here but still when money is as tight as it is these days I want the most for my dollar. And I am starting to think feeding a cow out on a back acre of land on hay and some grain hope much cheaper would it be in the end ?

A big share of the reason for the price difference you see is because of the quality grade. With a few exceptions wallys sells select grade while the markets sell choice.
Also they have all of their meat delivered precut and packaged while most markets cut and package their own.

dun":ql33nrx8 said:
A big share of the reason for the price difference you see is because of the quality grade. With a few exceptions wallys sells select grade while the markets sell choice.
Also they have all of their meat delivered precut and packaged while most markets cut and package their own.

Yeah I know what you mean Dun, but here recently our walmart here has started cutting there own meat and packageing it in front of you. So guessing thats mostly because the public wants select cuts now too.. I figured the grade would be better but honestly I cant tell a difference beteween the 2 1.5 inch T-Bones I bought at our local dealer Payne's Meat and Walmart. And I gave 48.50 for 2 steaks cut 1.5 inch and pound wise I bought walmart same size for 10 bucks cheaper :( I am all about supporting local businesses but whne money is getting tighter and tighter everyday, I am going to have to find a new way to do it. And if raising a cow can be cheaper then having to resort to getting my meat at walmart then I would rather do that.. And just use my christmas bonus to pay for having the cow slaughtered and meat packed in my freezer.

Here it is $50 kill fee and $.50 per lb cut and wrap. I think when all that responded to similar cut and wrap fees per pound, like at my location, the per pound fee is pounds weighed at hanging weight not the actual weight of that amount of cut and wrap you get back. So you're paying for fat trim and bone waste as well ...... It's still a better way to go.

Remember, it's not all TBones! There's chuck, stew meat, soup meat, round, etc.

To come and kill on the farm, it is 35 dollars kill fee and 45 cents per pound, hanging weight. Back in the summer, my neighbor fed a steer to about 850 lbs. The calf would have brought about 1100 dollars at the sale barn, plus over 300 dollars kill and butchering, for a total of over 1400 dollars for the around 450 lbs packaged beef. You can buy a whole lot of your own selection of cuts for 1400 dollars, but if you can afford to butcher an animal that valuable, more power to you. We always butchered one that there was something wrong with that would not sell very well at the sale.

stocky":2xo3vcml said:
To come and kill on the farm, it is 35 dollars kill fee and 45 cents per pound, hanging weight. Back in the summer, my neighbor fed a steer to about 850 lbs. The calf would have brought about 1100 dollars at the sale barn, plus over 300 dollars kill and butchering, for a total of over 1400 dollars for the around 450 lbs packaged beef. You can buy a whole lot of your own selection of cuts for 1400 dollars, but if you can afford to butcher an animal that valuable, more power to you. We always butchered one that there was something wrong with that would not sell very well at the sale.

Maybe I should go HOG instead, seeing how I am from Hog Country..lol