Slaughter question

Help Support CattleToday:

Nicklausjames

Reaction score
I was thinking of slaughtering and butchering my own animal. My father will help, as he has done this type of thing hunting with moose, caribou, and deer. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a winch to buy to hang it with? If u could provide a link I would appreciate it.

What's a fel?

Also isn't a come along basically a winch? I don't know maybe I have my terms mixed up.

I was also looking to build something to hang it from. I'm trying to find plans online but don't know what it would be called. Nothing crazy basically simple. I was thinking like an upside down U. With two 8x8's as the posts and maybe another as the beam? 10 foot ? Use the post hole digger to dig down a few feet than pour concrete. Anyone know what the optimal height would be?

I would also use a fel, I had a similar tractor and would yes your would handle it. Are your rear tires filled with weight? If not you may want to put a heavy implement on the rear.

If using a 30 hp fel .. I'd put a mower on the back the more the implement is extended from the tractor the better .. I've tried beef butchered in the yard and not hung in a cooler and I don't like it at all .. might just be me but it needs to hang for 3 or 4 weeks

Sorry, this is what I meant by come-a-long. Just regional slang I guess. To me, a winch was powered by electric/battery. We didn't have a FEL, but if we did we wouldn't have been able to use it. As mentioned, we liked to let them hang for 1 week minimum and couldn't tie up a tractor for that long. I never measured, but I would think a beam 10' would be plenty high.
https://www.amazon.com/5-Ton-Come-Along ... B001Z0T0YG

I just butchered on the farm last winter and growing up Thanksgiving vacation was the family get together to butcher pigs, cows and goats. It was a family event growing up as there wasn't much money and what we butchered went was divided up between everyone and nothing really got wasted. UGH grandma's house with the pig and cow heads sitting on the counter.

Until you get it quartered up, it might not be worth the effort to try without a FEL. Not a FEL to hang it but it sure is handy when move it, and when you gut and skin it. I hate to gut where I hang it.

If you make a gantry to hang it, a couple 4x6 pole barn posts and a crossbeams will hold it. Without quartered a whole beef hanging by the back legs will probably 7 to 8 foot tall until your get the head removed. That will be the minimum height of your gantry. Higher the better. Find a chain fall hoist. Harbor Freight sells cheapies that will work better than a come-a-long. I've used a rope and pulley's too with no issues but it takes a lot more effort.
Depending on the size of the beef live weight a 30ph Kubota might not pick it up all the way off the ground high enough or have enough hydraulics to lift it. worse comes to worse have your gantry ready and drag the beef on a sheet of plywood or tin sheeting to the gantry and then lift with the chain hoist.

First time butchering---Good luck and watch out for the stomach when you make that first cut up the belly!!!! Hint: have some baler twine ready. If you cut some innards, tie it off quick.

I get my beef butchered for $45 kill fee and $.45/lbs cut and wrapped. Not hardly worth doing it at home anymore unless its a some unforeseen circumstances.

Gantry, ok that's the word I was looking for. What type of lumber do you think I would need? 8x8 or 6x6?

Nicklausjames":d2jxxo3g said:
Gantry, ok that's the word I was looking for. What type of lumber do you think I would need? 8x8 or 6x6?

either will work but it all depends on what your hanging. If it's a 2500 lbs bull you might want the bigger lumber but if its just an 18 month steer, you could get away with 4 x 6 's.