Skrinkage on cow/calves

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
How many pounds would you say on average a cow would skrink being hauled about 50 miles. The same on 600-800 steers. My scales and the stockyards are way off. I realize that it is my scales that are off, but I'm just unsure of how much counting the skrinkage. This is my first experience with weighing and then sending them to the stockyards. More than likely I don't have mine level. Plan on checking that this afternoon.

carla":258aay83 said:
How many pounds would you say on average a cow would skrink being hauled about 50 miles. The same on 600-800 steers. My scales and the stockyards are way off. I realize that it is my scales that are off, but I'm just unsure of how much counting the skrinkage. This is my first experience with weighing and then sending them to the stockyards. More than likely I don't have mine level. Plan on checking that this afternoon.

there is a difference in hauling them 50 miles and then checking the weight, and hauling them 50 miles to go thru the stress of a sale. i have had calves loose 10% from morning to evening (about 10 hours) going thru the sale. i understand that anywhere between 8 and about 14% or so is normal.. of course that would depend on their condition and how long they have to wait at the barn before being sold.

i know 10% might sound high, but they will do it.

jt

I agree with the 10% for 8 hours in a stressful environment. I have heard horror stories about feeder cattle being hauled long distances and losing up to 20%, especially in cramped quarters on extremely hot days, but I'm sure those are exceptions...but considering how much a bucket of cr...manure weighs and considering how most cows find it necessary to purge themselves when trailered or pinned I can see how.

I wouldn't think a healthy animal in a trailer for one hour (unless it is really really hot) would lose more than a couple of percent, if that.

I bet the shrinkage in that sale barn in Iowa probably coincided with the growth in the sale barn owners wallet.... :lol:

Also I took mine down Wed morning because I had some cull cows to sell that day and then some calves to sell through a special select vac sale the next day. The calves were down there a good 24 hours plus.

carla":1mxx2lm0 said:
tell me more about "built in shrink for the buyers."

I'd be interested in knowing more about this also. To my knowledge the scales are certified by the state Weight's and Measures Dept.

To anybody that wants to read a number of reports and/or articles regarding either "fill shrink" (feces, urine, rumen emptying) or "tissue shrink" just do a Google search for "cattle shrink" and start reading. Pretty interesting reading, but not overly surprising.

Some of my calves are weaned off by the cows but some get weaned in the trailer. At times I can't avoid it, but I sure hate to gather up unweaned calves (or weaned, for that matter) in the middle of a hot Tuesday afternoon for a trip to the barn for a Wed. afternoon sale. Don't have any scales at my place but I've always thought the shrink could easily approach 10%. Many times I've thought that just gathering on mid-morning of the sale day and going through the hassle of waiting in the long unloading line might be more profitable, but I've made no real effort at trying to quantify all that.

I'm probably too much of a novice to know about the barn/buyer "built in shrink" houstoncutter was referring to. Possibly its just that "fill shrink" can be fairly quickly replaced, within a day or two, once you get the calves to drinking and eating again, but that replacement will generally take place after the farmer or rancher has gotten his pay weight --- or maybe its some shenanigans that we sellers should be a little upset about??

What about it houstoncutter?

i have my own scales too & although like you say all sale barn scales are supposed to be the same. i take cattle to different sale barns & one not far from me is always lighter. of course they can adjust the scales anytime. longer haul or people not knowing what they are doing with cattle make them shrink more to. if a person working around them gets excited, they also get excited. that test was done by the university in iowa

Do you remember where you read about that test that was done by the university in iowa? I would like to read it. Thanks!!

Never heard of an "automatic shrink" at the sale barn. There is "pencil shrink" when animals are bought from the farm/backgoufder, etc. It's a persentage usually around 2-3%, or that's waht it has run for us.

dun

houstoncutter":e6h12osp said:
Dont foget the sale barn has a built in shrink for the buyers, anywheres from 2 to 5 percent

I would guess that the "cutter" is refering to the fees ( Ins., water, hay, commission, handling fees, etc ) that the sale barn charges you to sell your cattle.

;-)

Cant speak to all sale barns but the two i use have a 2 1/2 percent shrink built into the weight. It has been used because some sellers in the past would hold their calves off water then fill em up just before taking em to market. I know this time of year when their are fewer calves selling, I will take my calves in after the sale has started. You dont get hit with the shrink that happens when calves are fresh weaned from momma

Wish I had more of a choice, but with traffic and distance it gets a bit hairy. Of course most of my calves are sold to a order buyer, or we do retained ownership

houstoncutter":2cpheqp1 said:
Of course most of my calves are sold to a order buyer, or we do retained ownership
Of course they are.LOL But you do business with sale barns that cheat you?? Doesnt make much sense to me

Latest posts