Skinny calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

animalhouse143

Reaction score
I bought 2 calves at the livestock auction about 3 1/2 months ago. I bottle fed them for about a month and a half. They are now on Alfalfa and calf startena, and when the weather permits they go into the small pasture to graze. One of them is doing great, gaining weight and has a lot of energy. The other one is VERY thin with ery little energy. He still has an appatite and drinks plenty of water but doesnt seem to be gaining weight. I went to the vet and got a basic wormer. I injected both calves with it to make sure. Does anybody know whats wrong with my calf? Any suggestions on a disease he might have???thanks, jamie

animalhouse143":2rv9y88w said:
I bought 2 calves at the livestock auction about 3 1/2 months ago. I bottle fed them for about a month and a half. They are now on Alfalfa and calf startena, and when the weather permits they go into the small pasture to graze. One of them is doing great, gaining weight and has a lot of energy. The other one is VERY thin with ery little energy. He still has an appatite and drinks plenty of water but doesnt seem to be gaining weight. I went to the vet and got a basic wormer. I injected both calves with it to make sure. Does anybody know whats wrong with my calf? Any suggestions on a disease he might have???thanks, jamie

Well you went to the vet - what did the vet say?

Seems that is the person who would be in the know. Has this animal been examined by a veterinarian?

Bez!

animalhouse143":2nimccd5 said:

How old are they? What vaccines have you given them besides the wormer?

If one is predominantly dairy and the other is predomiantly beef the dairy one will alwasy look thin in comparison.

dun

I havent givin them any vaccinations yet. What kind should i give them at 4 months of age? I will put some pics up as soon as possibly. Now dont laugh...but they are PETS. We arent raising them for beef or dairy. When is the latest i can dehorn them? do i need to take them to the vet for the vaccinations and dehorning or can i just buy the vaccinations and do them myslf? im brand new at this cattle thing and know absolutelty nothing, so anything would be helpful. Thanks

If you haven't done it before I'd certainly take them to the vet for vaccinations the first time - and most certainly for dehorning. :lol: It's not a job for a newbie. Sooner it gets done the easier it is on the animal.

Check to see what your vet recommends for vaccinations. You'll probably end up giving them a 5-way for BVD 1 & 2, IBR, PI3, BRSV, and a 7-way or 8-way for things like blackleg.

What breed are they? beef breed like angus, or dairy breed like holstein?

animalhouse143":2ywl0wgj said:
they are jersey crosses. Still sweet calves, but i hear they are suposed to be mean as adults??/ true?

Bulls yes. Have your vet steer - castrate - them when they're dehorned and vaccinated.

I did the rubber band trick, they're all shriveled up and about to fall off. I met an old time rancher who took me around his ranch. He taught me how to use the rubber band contraption on one of his calves and then let me borrow it to use on my calves. Nice old guy who helped me out a lot.
I undestand that they will be a lot calmer once castrated, but will they still be meaner than most steers due to the jersey in them?

I wouldn't think so...but then I don't keep steers for long so I can't say for sure. No $en$e in it, 'least in my operation. I just keep heifers and cows.

Hello Animalhouse

This might seem like a silly question but, how about their breathing. Do they both seem to be breathing normally after some minor exersion?

If not, I would check for respiratory problems up to, and including mild phenomia.

Dub

Latest posts