Skeet Shooters

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth":2njb1n7f said:
skyhightree1":2njb1n7f said:
M5 I am a backyard skeet shooter and cant answer your question but I did find this I hope it will help

http://www.scskeet.com/Beginner_skeet/B ... _Skeet.htm

I know this is a little off subject but I was wondering how do y'all cook your skeet? I boil mine but find them still a little to dry for my liking. Also sky, what do you use to bait them into your backyard?
Sorry M5, I'm not trying to highjack your thread.
Wish I could answer that for you Deepsouth. I never had the opportunity to try any skeets...I was too busy snipe huntin'.

not my pic

but this is the snipe we have always hunted. I never understood why its was supposed to be a joke going snipe hunting.
they are hard to hit tho.

inyati13":2hxwpc4w said:
I have shot registered trap. I have shot skeet on an official course where all stations are measured and the targets have to fly an offical arc to be qualified skeet. They pass through an official hoop that measures the height of the targets travel.

I disagree with Ouachita that skeet is a term used commonly for all clay target sports. I prefer skeet but my handicap scores when I was in Montana shooting registered trap were very good. I think the best handicap score I had was breaking 197 targets out of 200 from the 22 to 24 handicap station. That was in Great Falls, Mt. I got so serious about the sport that I decided it was becoming like a second job so I stopped and switched to skeet which I like better. Here is my skeet gun:
213rwg9.jpg

BTW: Sorry but i have shot skeet in a tournament format.
I should have said "mistakenly describe". I just here a lot of people use the word "sceet" as a catch all for sports involving clays.

Deepsouth":1tyuniiv said:
skyhightree1":1tyuniiv said:
M5 I am a backyard skeet shooter and cant answer your question but I did find this I hope it will help

I know this is a little off subject but I was wondering how do y'all cook your skeet? I boil mine but find them still a little to dry for my liking. Also sky, what do you use to bait them into your backyard?
They go best with golf eggs.

HDRider":2ffehexv said:
Deepsouth":2ffehexv said:
skyhightree1":2ffehexv said:

They go best with golf eggs.
That one in particular is a classic.

M5,
That aerial tells me what I was asking, thanks. I suggest that you not try to handicap it. Most shooters will be beginners. Shoot them all from the same station which mean your squads will be 5. There will be a shoot on each run and they will shoot in sequance until 5 shots are taken on each run. Then they rotate to the next run. You know what I mean I am sure. You could select groupings by teens, adults and even a men and women's class. Have a straight up shoot with a Champion, Second and third.

Be safe. With a group like that, safety better be your first concern!!!!! Hope the range is insured or you are. :D

That's is two skeet ranges in the pic. The one also has a trap range built in.

I would suggest grouping people based on scores. 100 people total. Make 4 groups of 25. Give prizes to the top 5-10 in each group. Can't think what you call it. That is how most fun shoots are done.

Thank you, we are planning to divide teams as equal as we can. Have a winning team then a high score men, women, youth prize. We are having our legal draft a waver and are going to have a safety instructor giving instruction also. Fortunately being I'm south Alabama everyone shoots so it should be pretty safe by following range rules. I appreciate your input it gives me what i need when I meet with the president of the club Thursday.

When you divide the groups split them by score. 1-25 top scores go together. 26-50. 52-75 so even if you get 51st, 77th you win a prize.

If you don't split it and give every one a chance it can be very disappointing. A.couple trained.guys can come in there and clean house. It's not unusual to have a 5 way tie with 100 straight and six guys competing for 6th who shot 99.

Brute 23":301tzqe6 said:
When you divide the groups split them by score. 1-25 top scores go together. 26-50. 52-75 so even if you get 51st, 77th you win a prize.

If you don't split it and give every one a chance it can be very disappointing. A.couple trained.guys can come in there and clean house. It's not unusual to have a 5 way tie with 100 straight and six guys competing for 6th who shot 99.
Ok that sounds like a good plan . We are planning on 50 to 75 people shooting . This is our first attempt at this so we want it fun and want to grow it into our main fundraiser in a few years. The golf tourney just don't generate the turnout anymore.

Brute 23":2ob1z5w8 said:

Brute, I am sure glad I am not M5. :D
More fun to shoot than organize. :lol:

Deepsouth":1m7wvflg said:
skyhightree1":1m7wvflg said:

You cook them the same way you cook hard heads (salt water catfish). You put one in a pot with a rock and boil until the rock gets soft. Then throw away the skeet (or hardhead) and eat the rock.

inyati13":1z9qav7g said:
Brute 23":1z9qav7g said:

Brute, I am sure glad I am not M5. :D
More fun to shoot than organize. :lol:

:nod: Absolutely

I started shooting skeet when I was 7yrs old. We finally couldn't take any more years down the road. The egos were too much to handle at the competitions.

Small shoots like this are fun. To me nothing beats just getting a hand thrower and playing knock out or horse in the pasture with a group of buddies. Plus, you can see who the real shooters are.

Glad this subject came up. I am not a shooter but I have been to a couple of ranges in my area and both were set up like Inyati described, eight stations with the last being in the middle where you are shooting directly overhead - you know, the ones I have never been able to hit. All I know is when you go to the range and they ask you if you want to shoot skeet or traps and you reply skeet, they send you to the range that has two houses (one low, one high) with eight shooting stations. If you tell them you want to shoot trap they send you to a range that has only one thrower and most of the time the bird flies directly in front of going away.

Latest posts