Skeet Shooters

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
I have shot skeet and but have never participated in a tournament. Our home builder association is wanting a small tournament for the members and I have been elected to oversee this project. I have the facility secured and the rates. I have the ammo and the food taken care of. What I need is some guidance of the tournament format. The club we will use is a 5 station facility and we will have a 5 person team with 50 to 75 people . I am meeting the president of the club Thursday and he is going to offer advise on how it can be done. Have any of you shot in a tournament format that can give me some info so when I meet with this person I have some idea of what he is talking about.

Sleet seems to be the word used to describe many sports using clays. Is it trap, skeet, sporting clays, etc? Formats are different. My son was on a trap team this spring. Other than that I only have backyard experience also

I have shot registered trap. I have shot skeet on an official course where all stations are measured and the targets have to fly an offical arc to be qualified skeet. They pass through an official hoop that measures the height of the targets travel.

I disagree with Ouachita that skeet is a term used commonly for all clay target sports. I prefer skeet but my handicap scores when I was in Montana shooting registered trap were very good. I think the best handicap score I had was breaking 197 targets out of 200 from the 22 to 24 handicap station. That was in Great Falls, Mt. I got so serious about the sport that I decided it was becoming like a second job so I stopped and switched to skeet which I like better. Here is my skeet gun:
213rwg9.jpg

BTW: Sorry but i have shot skeet in a tournament format.

M5, skeet should have 8 stations and you shoot 24 targets in 25 shots.
1 4 targets
2 4 targets
3, 4, 5 2 targets each
6, 4 targets
7 4 targets
8 2 targets right over your head. Most fun shot of all.

"We have two NSSA skeet ranges, one ATA trap range with a Pat-Trap" this is from the range we are using. It is a 5 stations IIRC

there will be 25 clays shot at 5 stations from what I have figured out so far. The biggest thing I need is how a tournament is conducted and how to figure handi caps

We are in south Alabama to the terminology may skeewed :cowboy:

I don't know how you will handicap beginners. I shot registered trap, beginners were started on the closest yardage. When I shoot skeet in non-registered competion, there are teams of 5 shooters and we all shoot from the same position.

I have seen the set up you are talking about. You have a skeet and trap field using the same infrastructure - is that right?
Since trap has 5 stations, you are using those concrete courses so you are only 5 stations. I have not shot that way. I have not shot since leaving Denver but if I start shooting, I would have to go to Lexington to find an official skeet field.

inyati13":1awdcase said:
M5, I am assuming you are using a low house and a high house. Your Trap house is in the same field, right?
that's what it look like. I have never shot this club before. I am going out there Thursday

skyhightree1":1189z3b2 said:
M5 I am a backyard skeet shooter and cant answer your question but I did find this I hope it will help

http://www.scskeet.com/Beginner_skeet/B ... _Skeet.htm

I know this is a little off subject but I was wondering how do y'all cook your skeet? I boil mine but find them still a little to dry for my liking. Also sky, what do you use to bait them into your backyard?
Sorry M5, I'm not trying to highjack your thread.

Deepsouth":aw0wqi3l said:
skyhightree1":aw0wqi3l said:
M5 I am a backyard skeet shooter and cant answer your question but I did find this I hope it will help

I know this is a little off subject but I was wondering how do y'all cook your skeet? I boil mine but find them still a little to dry for my liking. Also sky, what do you use to bait them into your backyard?

:D I bet it is better than taking Metamucil.

M5farm":1cxt1l52 said:
inyati13":1cxt1l52 said:
M5, I am assuming you are using a low house and a high house. Your Trap house is in the same field, right?
that's what it look like. I have never shot this club before. I am going out there Thursday

Ok. That looks like an official registered trap set up. Your high and low house must be out of the picture.
M5, if you look at the 5 sidewalks, the shooter is handicapped by moving him further back from the house. You are handicapped from 20 yards back to 27. You may hear him refer to short, mid and long yardage handicaps. There are safety considerations also in mixing shooters, i.e., you don't want a long guy shooting behind a mid or short guy.

Deepsouth":jtzsipxr said:
skyhightree1":jtzsipxr said:

:mrgreen:

Latest posts