Skeet Shooters

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher":1juc7zu8 said:
Glad this subject came up. I am not a shooter but I have been to a couple of ranges in my area and both were set up like Inyati described, eight stations with the last being in the middle where you are shooting directly overhead - you know, the ones I have never been able to hit. All I know is when you go to the range and they ask you if you want to shoot skeet or traps and you reply skeet, they send you to the range that has two houses (one low, one high) with eight shooting stations. If you tell them you want to shoot trap they send you to a range that has only one thrower and most of the time the bird flies directly in front of going away.

I like trap because I was raised quail hunting. Skeet is like dove hunting.

Brute 23":2bphl27g said:
inyati13":2bphl27g said:
Brute 23":2bphl27g said:
When you divide the groups split them by score. 1-25 top scores go together. 26-50. 52-75 so even if you get 51st, 77th you win a prize.

If you don't split it and give every one a chance it can be very disappointing. A.couple trained.guys can come in there and clean house. It's not unusual to have a 5 way tie with 100 straight and six guys competing for 6th who shot 99.

Brute, I am sure glad I am not M5. :D
More fun to shoot than organize. :lol:

:nod: Absolutely

I started shooting skeet when I was 7yrs old. We finally couldn't take any more years down the road. The egos were too much to handle at the competitions.

Small shoots like this are fun. To me nothing beats just getting a hand thrower and playing knock out or horse in the pasture with a group of buddies. Plus, you can see who the real shooters are.

Brute: Isn't that the truth. I have seen the worst come out of people shooting trap. Saw a guy throw an expensive trap gun (like a Krieghoff or Perazzi; $15,000 gun) in the trash barrel. A friend picked it up and of course the guy got it back. He was mad because he missed a target. The problem with Trap and Skeet; they become games of perfection.

Saw a man probably in his 60s, miss a trap target and walk off his station and stand in front of a 14 year old female puller and chew her out for not pulling the target when he said pull. Another shooter on that squad got in that guys face. The range staff took him to his car and sent him off.

M5farm":1zl9at23 said:
lavacarancher":1zl9at23 said:
Glad this subject came up. I am not a shooter but I have been to a couple of ranges in my area and both were set up like Inyati described, eight stations with the last being in the middle where you are shooting directly overhead - you know, the ones I have never been able to hit. All I know is when you go to the range and they ask you if you want to shoot skeet or traps and you reply skeet, they send you to the range that has two houses (one low, one high) with eight shooting stations. If you tell them you want to shoot trap they send you to a range that has only one thrower and most of the time the bird flies directly in front of going away.

I like trap because I was raised quail hunting. Skeet is like dove hunting.

Love trap and shot competition for a few years my shotgun wasn't fancy just an old Winchester Model 97.
I routinely shot 95 out of a 100 got old pretty quick like Brute said.
Lot of the guys shooting had their nose so turned up took the fun out of it.
I have had a lot more fun shooting trap with a few friends.

Watched an ole boy shoot skeet one day at the range with a Model 42 if he ever missed I didn't see it.
If you don't know the Model 42 Winchester is a 410 based off the Model 12 for experts.
After watching him shoot I put myself in the novice category.

We had the shoot today. We had 40 shooters. We had a blast even though I sucked only hitting 17 of 25 . I was the best out of our group so I did win 50 bucks.

Last 2 in the middle and when we started close to the high house. I've only shot on a official range 2 times before in my life but shoot every now and then with a hand thrower. Double gave me a fit also.

Brute 23":n0ozstmo said:
That's real good. The ones you missed are pretty much muscle memory. You take a box to each station and shoot until you can do it with your eyes closed.

Wouldn't take much and you would shoot low 20s on a regular basis.

A good double with skeet and light skeet chokes help a lot as well.

Caustic Burno":2ivzfxbl said:
Brute 23":2ivzfxbl said:
That's real good. The ones you missed are pretty much muscle memory. You take a box to each station and shoot until you can do it with your eyes closed.

Wouldn't take much and you would shoot low 20s on a regular basis.

A good double with skeet and light skeet chokes help a lot as well.

Yup.

When my brother and I started shooting skeet we only had one 1100. If we both shot a round together I had to use my dads Wingmaster with Mod barrel. :) I was good for a 20 or so with it. I eventually got my own 1100.

skyhightree1 said:
M5 I am a backyard skeet shooter and cant answer your question but I did find this I hope it will help

useful information. I've also just started to get in touch with the clay movement, and I find it so interesting that I fell in love with it the first time I shot it. A small, cheap thrower is what I want. Does anyone have experience with Trius One Step Trap? Thanks in advance.

alialiyah said:
skyhightree1 said:
M5 I am a backyard skeet shooter and cant answer your question but I did find this I hope it will help

useful information. I've also just started to get in touch with the clay movement, and I find it so interesting that I fell in love with it the first time I shot it. A small, cheap thrower is what I want. Does anyone have experience with Trius One Step Trap? Thanks in advance.

They are very simple and basic. Decent for starting some one at best. IMO I would rather just have a hand thrower. It's much more versatile and can be had cheap. If I was to get an actual thrower to play with I would step up to one of the 12v ones with a loader. They have so much more power and versatility. Some decent ones can be had for $300 or so.

Latest posts