Simmy breeders Shear Force

Help Support CattleToday:

Boldcat

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone here was used Genex "hooks Shear Force.
I tried 4 straws on heifers and was very happy with the results , however a few days ago I had a heifer calve at 283 days and she could'nt get past the front hooves before giving up .
We got the chains around some huge feet and gave a few pulls .Even with her pushing we could'nt budge it .
So we got the jack and slowly pulled him out . He's doing fine but I was surprised at the massive bone structure.
The EPD for CE was 21.1 with an accuracy of .77.
I think I'll try another 5 straws this year ,just wondered if anyone else had used him.
The other heifers popped his calves out with ease .
Another bull bull I tried this year was Genex "Trademark".
Awesome calves, I just bought another 20 straws.

That's right , That's why I'm going to use him again this year .The reason for this post was to see if anyone else had used this bull and what kind of results they came up with.

My preferred Simmenthal bull is Autobahn from Select Sires. Biggest calf was 87 pound bull out of a big mature cow.
Also the tenderest eating beef we've ever had.

BW of calf is important - so is shape.
More important, is what was the BW of the DAM or pelvic size? Remember, the dam has more influence on the BW of the calf. She passes on 1/2 the genes, and she "incubates" the baby. Some females really like to "grow" babies.
I haven't used Shear Force, but I have used one of his sons, ABS's Beef Maker (red bull) LOVE THE CALVES. Calves easily, great vigor & making a really nice "package". I ordered another 20 units.
I have 1 Trademark, and am breeding to him this year. Hadn't wanted to use much of Trademark, because he has same pedigree as my bull (sired by Power Drive - a Power Stroke son).

Just blew a water line under a water bowl a (which wouldn't be a big deal if we didn't still have 1 1/2 ' of snow and ice)
and had another calf.
I've been using Genex the last couple of years mainly because I'm working on improving teats and udders (beef staff recommendations) on my foundation fullblood herd as well as making red and black baldies and getting rid of my diluters .
I didn't weigh this calf as it was a busy day and I'm just a commercial breeder but I estimate him at 85 - 90 lbs . Like I said big bone structure.
I will be evaluating her pelvic opening and spur next time she's in the squeeze.
One more thing I just found out today is that Trademark is history .
Apparently he's picked up leukosis.

Whereabouts are you located in Sask. Bold Cat. Trademark tested positive for a titre doesn't necessarily means he has the disease.

There isn't all that much more of Saskatchewan north of Nipawin lol. I coach hockey there every winter-those two young guys that coach the AA Midgets are good guys. I used to go up through there to 'The Pas' and buy a load of heifers from Bereozwicki's and Donahoe's every spring.

Yep , my wife says we live at the end of civilization .
What town do you coach ?. My boys always played soccer ,summer and winter . My oldest boy played soccer with the Nipawin Hawks trainer one year . Good player but sure got alot of cards lol.
Well back to my water bowl troubles then I've got a cow I want to induce .

I coach the AA Meadow Lake Midget Stamps-we've had some good tilts with Nipawin over the years-we came back from two goals down and beat them in overtime in the playoffs this year.

Congrats on spanking Nipawin , I used to love coaching the boys teams when they were young .
It's a small world , my mom was from Meadow Lake .
My grandparents used to live in a little dumpy house next to KFC with a mennonite church across the alley .

Latest posts