Line Breeders: Would You?

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide my next move with this girl. I really like the Monster genetics as he is old school and dominated for a couple of years, and he is still sought after by a few breeders. Right now I have her bred to my Monster (paternal side) great-grandson. I have one straw of Monster left and I'm trying to decide if I should use it on her. I have had this on my mind for a while and still just kicking the can. I would appreciate some experienced opinions if you have any.

If you want to see what happens, just do it. Its just a calf, if you like the results - good. If you dont like it, its meets its fate as a beef calf.. like any other.

Supa Dexta":36yi85ds said:
If you want to see what happens, just do it. Its just a calf, if you like the results - good. If you dont like it, its meets its fate as a beef calf.. like any other.

I guess I should appreciate the attemp, but I just kinda figured there might be a better way to look at this than rolling the dice.

Has anyone else linebred the bull? Would be worth doing the research and knowing that there is not a expected problem before you try. The linebreeding on unknown genetics has about a 15% success rate if you tighten them up. Not a good rate but the 15% can be what you want.

Thanks. That's something I don't know and very much worth investigating. Just trying to do this armed with more knowledge than what I have, which is zero in the area.

Ebenezer":1irdjd11 said:
Has anyone else linebred the bull? Would be worth doing the research and knowing that there is not a expected problem before you try. The linebreeding on unknown genetics has about a 15% success rate if you tighten them up. Not a good rate but the 15% can be what you want.

I spoke with the breeder of that bull this morning and he said it had been done and worked out really well. I appreciate your advice as it made my mind up to give it a go.

I'd try it.. I'm sure liking my results so far. Looking at some 2nd generation linebred calves coming this spring, hoping for a couple nice bull calves