commercial breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

rvfarms

Reaction score
New to the cattle today world, i was wondering if anyone knows of some proven bulls that will make good fat steers. im a commercial breeder and i feed out my own cattle and am in need of some more carcass weight. it seems that our cow herd frame scores have slipped a little thus our carcass weight is slipping. one question i have is the carcass weight epd seems to be misleading, i see the epd can be very high for some bulls, however they still have a frame score under 6. so if someone could shed some light on this for me that would be great, as well as some good bulls that you would think would fit my needs. thanks!

Cows now are angus based. Would like to stick close to angus for carcass grades but open to opinions. Located central Missouri

Carcass yield and cutability are not directly related to frame score. I think is why it seems odd to you that a bigger frame does not automatically lead to more carcass or yield. If you are thinking about people as cows a 7 ft basketball player may not yield as much as a 6'3" football playing lineman even though the basketball player has much more frame. Also you have to take in consideration what size the frame and yield are when the animail reaches the correct amount of backfat and not the size of the frame or yield when the animal is mature. Sometimes that can be 2 totally different things.

I personally like Gar-EGL Protege 15098880 for combo of yield and quality grade and the way they convert feed to lbs. I use 2 of his sons for our Angus bulls.

A great way to increase carcass weight is adding some simmental into the mix. Find a good simmental, or even simm-angus bull to run on those cows. We are in SW MO, and would be more than happy to chat with you if you are interested.

I would put a black Limi bull over them. The Limi influence should increase CW and cutability. It should also had a positive influence on REA and muscling. The Angus cows will help maintain some marbling and feed efficiency. And, if you get some good heifers out of the deal, you could feel safe using them as replacements, they would even be percentage registered Limis if you wanted. There are quite a few good Limi breeders down your way that produce bulls for exactly this kind of situation. :2cents:

I also second FSR on the suggestion of a good Simmental bull. There are plenty of good black ones out there that will do the job.

Averaged 838# of hanging wt using angus bulls on angus cows last year.. this year we will run lighter but mostly because of heifers in the mix. The one calf out of a simmental bull had a 810 hanging wt..

Latest posts