Simmental Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandywine

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here, but I have been consulting the boards for advice for a long time, just never posted! Now I need your opinion!!
This is our first year showing a bull. Let me know what you think, your not going to hurt my feelings! He is a Goldmine son from a Legacy Daughter. He is 5 Mo.'s old and I am not sure of his weight.

June_25_2006_019.jpg

Thanks SOOO Much!!

well the first that jumps out at me (and always does with simmentals) is his butt. its lacking. the second thing that jumps out at me is his rear flank. other than that he looks pretty decent.

I know, we are going to breed some Cows to Macho As U next Spring. We have a heifer out of him that we absolutley LOVE!! My Husband swears she has more Angus in her!

Circle_S_Ms_Macho_579R.jpg

I have followed this board for a while but first time to respond. This calf appears shallow bodied, especially in the flank and not thick enough to make the cut in my book. Based on the pedigree, he would make a heifer bull for Angus and that is about it. I would have a hard time selling him to my commercial customers.

These cattle look OK but they do look like Angus. Here in Australia there is mainly the traditional coloured Simmies and they all have very well muscled hindquarters. Must be the black that makes them slabby or light in the rear end. Can someone post a picture of a proper coloured Simmental.
Colin

Australian Cattleman":37n4wtmk said:
These cattle look OK but they do look like Angus. Here in Australia there is mainly the traditional coloured Simmies and they all have very well muscled hindquarters. Must be the black that makes them slabby or light in the rear end. Can someone post a picture of a proper coloured Simmental.
Colin

paymaster.jpg

Posted by S.R.R. a while back

Brandywine - thanks for the comments about Macho and the pic (nice heifer :D ) By the way, he has waaayyy more butt than an Angus :p
I agree with the posts, your young bull looks shallow in the flank & light in the rear. I am not a fan of Goldmine, but I do like Legacy daughters.
Maybe you're husband is very LARGE, but he (the bull :p ) doesn't LOOK 500#, which is what I would expect for his age.
Will you be showing the heifer at Sweepstakes as planned? Slightly fine boned, but other than that looks great - really deep in the flank. She has grown up since last pic I saw.

Everytime I see a posting that says " Simmental" I click on it expecting to see a red and white animal. I am so often disappointed when I realize its black and looking to be a mongrelized appearring animal that may be Simmental, may be Angus, may be Gelbvieh, may be limo, or a combination of any number of breeds. It is so sad to me to lose the distinctiveness of what the original breeds were known for in the effort to acheive uniformity AKA "chickenization".

Brandywine please do not be offended as this post is not directed to you or your breeding program....

had a simm bull like the one in the picture. best dam maternal bull i ever had. wish i had him back alot of times. got some great momas out of him and their offsprings have plenty of butt.

bward":35iysv6r said:
Everytime I see a posting that says " Simmental" I click on it expecting to see a red and white animal. I am so often disappointed when I realize its black and looking to be a mongrelized appearring animal that may be Simmental, may be Angus, may be Gelbvieh, may be limo, or a combination of any number of breeds. It is so sad to me to lose the distinctiveness of what the original breeds were known for in the effort to acheive uniformity AKA "chickenization".

Brandywine please do not be offended as this post is not directed to you or your breeding program....

That's why we raise Red Angus and red Polled Hereford crosses.

dun

Thanks for all of the comments
I agree somewhat on bward's comments. It disheartens me sometimes that the simmentals are more interested in looking like the angus. But they do have their differences and that is what I like about them. We have considered trying some of the fleckvieh bloodlines, but have been scared off by the BW's. That is why we are looking into bulls like macho and some of the more muscular black simmental bulls.
However, we are showing our cattle, and to keep up with the current trends and do any good with the judges, you have to give them what they want. I have plenty of calves in the field that have the classic simmental look, not red and white, but made more like the old blood simmy's. I actually took one to a show and was told by the judge that she was not feminine, she was massive, but would make a great brood cow!
However, he loved our Macho Heifer and she was grand champion simmental. So what do you do!!?!

Jeanne, we will have Macy at Sweepstakes, I hope that you will get to come over and see her.

Thanks again for all of the comments on the bull, like I said we haven't shown one before and just wanted some opinions to see if we were on the right track, we dont expect him to be a grand champ, hes going to the field after show season! We figured if we were going to put him up and feed him, might as well show him!! :D

bullpeddler":211mobh2 said:
Thanks, dun. Thought I copied the URL from Photobucket correctly.

For pictures you need the
has to directly follow the .jpg/.gif

dun

bullpeddler":1nu5w2az said:
Thanks, dun. Thought I copied the URL from Photobucket correctly.

you did copy it correctly, you just didnt put the
tags around it.

like this
  • i]

Here is an image of the dam of the bull calf that I posted previously. Correctly this time I hope. She is a cow we have been flushing with some success.
HSF83L.jpg
[/img]

Thats right, order buyers will pay more for black calves, particularly ones with white on the face. A good simmental bull can add pounds, improve yield grade and keep em black. Not the only good breeding strategy, just one that can work if done correctly.

Latest posts