Sim blaze=$$

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
Bought a yearling simmental bull this weekend. Picked him out of a group of 12-13. Only one bull had already sold in the group, and it had easily the poorest phenotype of the bunch. It didn't even seem to fit in with the others at all. It was the only bull however that had a white face, and apparently that was all the buyer wanted, even after he came and looked at the bull and recognized that it was the worst of the group. The difference was enough to almost make me mad at the stupidity of people.
Do some folks think that a blaze face makes for a better animal? Are they hoping that the blaze is passed on to the calves and that they can sell some high $ replacements? If that's the case, I think Hereford will give a white face much more often than Sim, but maybe they are selling purebreds.. weird.

I have a blaze face Sim bull that I should be marketing.. maybe I should collect him.. Naw, too much trouble.

The guy I bought my Simangus bull from
back in the fall said the same thing. He had 1 blaze faced bull in the group of all black bulls I was picking through that was much smaller and not as good as many of the others in the group that were about the same age. He said even though several others were better in the group, the blazed face would be one of the first ones sold. Some people call him looking just for that.

I like having a blaze or some white on them but I'm not going to just use anything to get it. I'm not going to spend a lot of extra money to have a blaze either when most times I can buy a much better black one for less money. The blaze's are like a trademark they do usually sell first but I want to be sure and have good ones.

I do like the blaze or white faces, but I wouldn't sacrifice quality to get it. If two bulls were completely equal, one solid and one with a blaze, I would probably pick the blaze. Now if the blaze wasn't as good as the solid, I'd pick the solid. Why? I just prefer the white faces.

RockinRB said:
I do like the blaze or white faces, but I wouldn't sacrifice quality to get it. If two bulls were completely equal, one solid and one with a blaze, I would probably pick the blaze. Now if the blaze wasn't as good as the solid, I'd pick the solid. Why? I just prefer the white faces.

All being the same, I would too.

Lazy M said:
RockinRB said:
All being the same, I would too.

Although I will say that you'll occasionally get docked at the yards around here if their bellies and feet start getting chromed up. I will probably retain this heifer calf but if I don't I wouldn't be shocked if she got singled and docked.

Another one from tonight. Starting to wonder if his partner (Angus bull) bred anything last spring.

Sale barn buyers around here like to see some blaze faces in groups of calves because they know they can expect some heterosis. The problem with using Hereford bulls is you start getting red baldies and feathernecks after the F1 cross, and buyers are paying Holstein price for anything that appears to be more than 50% Hereford.

Buck Randall said:
Sale barn buyers around here like to see some blaze faces in groups of calves because they know they can expect some heterosis. The problem with using Hereford bulls is you start getting red baldies and feathernecks after the F1 cross, and buyers are paying Holstein price for anything that appears to be more than 50% Hereford.

Where is here?

gcreekrch said:
Buck Randall said:

Where is here?

Wisconsin.

Buck Randall said:
It is the same here in South Carolina. A calf with just a blaze or baldie face and the rest black will bring with the best. If you add white socks or a featherneck, you will be down there with the Jerseys and LongHorns pricewise.

Why can't people want some white socks? that's what I have!
does the spot on the forehead at least make up for it?
Wonder what she'll make me this year!

Nesikep said:
That cow is already stamped with the beef check off.

WFfarm said:
Nesikep said:
:lol:

WFfarm said:
Nesikep said:

HAHAHA, I never even noticed that!

Latest posts