Sim blaze=$$

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,473
Reaction score
85
Location
KY
Bought a yearling simmental bull this weekend. Picked him out of a group of 12-13. Only one bull had already sold in the group, and it had easily the poorest phenotype of the bunch. It didn't even seem to fit in with the others at all. It was the only bull however that had a white face, and apparently that was all the buyer wanted, even after he came and looked at the bull and recognized that it was the worst of the group. The difference was enough to almost make me mad at the stupidity of people.
Do some folks think that a blaze face makes for a better animal? Are they hoping that the blaze is passed on to the calves and that they can sell some high $ replacements? If that's the case, I think Hereford will give a white face much more often than Sim, but maybe they are selling purebreds.. weird.

I have a blaze face Sim bull that I should be marketing.. maybe I should collect him.. Naw, too much trouble.







 

A.J.

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2009
Messages
1,216
Reaction score
73
Location
NE Tennessee
The guy I bought my Simangus bull from
back in the fall said the same thing. He had 1 blaze faced bull in the group of all black bulls I was picking through that was much smaller and not as good as many of the others in the group that were about the same age. He said even though several others were better in the group, the blazed face would be one of the first ones sold. Some people call him looking just for that.
 

FlyingLSimmentals

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2011
Messages
1,436
Reaction score
40
Location
Western Kentucky
I like having a blaze or some white on them but I'm not going to just use anything to get it. I'm not going to spend a lot of extra money to have a blaze either when most times I can buy a much better black one for less money. The blaze's are like a trademark they do usually sell first but I want to be sure and have good ones.
 

RockinRB

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 27, 2020
Messages
52
Reaction score
29
I do like the blaze or white faces, but I wouldn't sacrifice quality to get it. If two bulls were completely equal, one solid and one with a blaze, I would probably pick the blaze. Now if the blaze wasn't as good as the solid, I'd pick the solid. Why? I just prefer the white faces.
 
OP
L

Lazy M

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,473
Reaction score
85
Location
KY
RockinRB said:
I do like the blaze or white faces, but I wouldn't sacrifice quality to get it. If two bulls were completely equal, one solid and one with a blaze, I would probably pick the blaze. Now if the blaze wasn't as good as the solid, I'd pick the solid. Why? I just prefer the white faces.

All being the same, I would too.
 
OP
L

Lazy M

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,473
Reaction score
85
Location
KY
Lazy M said:
RockinRB said:
I do like the blaze or white faces, but I wouldn't sacrifice quality to get it. If two bulls were completely equal, one solid and one with a blaze, I would probably pick the blaze. Now if the blaze wasn't as good as the solid, I'd pick the solid. Why? I just prefer the white faces.
All being the same, I would too.

Although I will say that you'll occasionally get docked at the yards around here if their bellies and feet start getting chromed up. I will probably retain this heifer calf but if I don't I wouldn't be shocked if she got singled and docked.

 
OP
L

Lazy M

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,473
Reaction score
85
Location
KY

Another one from tonight. Starting to wonder if his partner (Angus bull) bred anything last spring.
 

Buck Randall

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 5, 2019
Messages
951
Reaction score
465
Sale barn buyers around here like to see some blaze faces in groups of calves because they know they can expect some heterosis. The problem with using Hereford bulls is you start getting red baldies and feathernecks after the F1 cross, and buyers are paying Holstein price for anything that appears to be more than 50% Hereford.
 

gcreekrch

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2010
Messages
1,623
Reaction score
347
Buck Randall said:
Sale barn buyers around here like to see some blaze faces in groups of calves because they know they can expect some heterosis. The problem with using Hereford bulls is you start getting red baldies and feathernecks after the F1 cross, and buyers are paying Holstein price for anything that appears to be more than 50% Hereford.

Where is here?
 

Buck Randall

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 5, 2019
Messages
951
Reaction score
465
gcreekrch said:
Buck Randall said:
Sale barn buyers around here like to see some blaze faces in groups of calves because they know they can expect some heterosis. The problem with using Hereford bulls is you start getting red baldies and feathernecks after the F1 cross, and buyers are paying Holstein price for anything that appears to be more than 50% Hereford.

Where is here?

Wisconsin.
 

Post Oak

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 12, 2012
Messages
370
Reaction score
8
Location
South Carolina
Buck Randall said:
Sale barn buyers around here like to see some blaze faces in groups of calves because they know they can expect some heterosis. The problem with using Hereford bulls is you start getting red baldies and feathernecks after the F1 cross, and buyers are paying Holstein price for anything that appears to be more than 50% Hereford.
It is the same here in South Carolina. A calf with just a blaze or baldie face and the rest black will bring with the best. If you add white socks or a featherneck, you will be down there with the Jerseys and LongHorns pricewise.
 

Nesikep

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Messages
16,287
Reaction score
535
Location
Lillooet, BC, Canada
Why can't people want some white socks? that's what I have!
does the spot on the forehead at least make up for it?
Wonder what she'll make me this year!
 

WFfarm

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
85
Location
Weastern NY
Nesikep said:
Why can't people want some white socks? that's what I have!
does the spot on the forehead at least make up for it?
Wonder what she'll make me this year!
That cow is already stamped with the beef check off.
 
OP
L

Lazy M

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,473
Reaction score
85
Location
KY
WFfarm said:
Nesikep said:
Why can't people want some white socks? that's what I have!
does the spot on the forehead at least make up for it?
Wonder what she'll make me this year!
That cow is already stamped with the beef check off.
:lol:
 

Latest posts

Top