Silage

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
What do ya'll who insile corn do when it is so dry and most of the corn is yellow. We had a dry spell and all the corn was yellow when cut. They put it up and compacted it and it was dry. usually it is green and wet.

Scotty

Put iit in a silo or an bag. Silage that dry will spoil if put in a trench or pile. If in a silo or bag, add water as you put it in. Garden hose on blower.

I don't understand. Isn't silage essentially fermented corn? What do you mean it will 'spoil'? Are you talking about moldy?

msscamp":2bwewayr said:
I don't understand. Isn't silage essentially fermented corn? What do you mean it will 'spoil'? Are you talking about moldy?

Silage is any forage that is allowed to ferment. If it's too dry it will freqently get moldy, too wet and it rots.

dun

I ensile corn whilst still green and the corn is at the "soft cheese" stage. If its too dry the whole clamp can get hot and spoil. You can seal the clamp with molasses to aid fermentation. It is essential to exclude oxygen from the clamp.
Have you thought about combining it and esiling just the cobs?

If putting it in a pit or trench you can broadcast oats across the face. That will help seal it till you are reade to use it.

But sounds like you already put it in. And if it isn't seeping...you are SOL.

dun":2lk4ofx4 said:
msscamp":2lk4ofx4 said:

Silage is any forage that is allowed to ferment. If it's too dry it will freqently get moldy, too wet and it rots.

dun

Ok, I see now. Thanks, Dun! :)

I would call the company near you that does feed nutrition analysis, and see how long it has to cure before a proper test can be done. Then take a sample in so you atleast know what you are working with as far as a nutritional value on it. I would assume if it is so dry, the nutritional value has gone down from silage put up at the proper time, and you may need to add molasses or some other liquid to it to make it more palatable. But the only way to know is to have a feed sample tested.

Latest posts