Feeding silage

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
We have never cut corn for feeding purposes but am wondering in general if you like the results you get from that as opposed to hay of good quality. Corn is cheap right now but price aside, if you have it, is it worth it? Also, straight silage okay or is it generally mixed or ground w hay? Again, total new comer to this potential feed. Primarily cow maintenance Ina cow calf operation. Winter feeding (should have mentioned that earlier)

They need hay to you got to be carefull not to get them to fat on it but here (on dairy farms) its fed about 20lb a head with a bale of hay out all the time

Is it easier to grind hay in w it or just have free choice all the time in a round feeder?

We fed it for years. Great feed, just be careful about over feeding it to late term cows or you will get some practice with OB chains. IMHO the ideal application for silage for a cow calf operation would be for fall calving cows.

Rniemann":3e0siuua said:
Is it easier to grind hay in w it or just have free choice all the time in a round feeder?
it will be a lot easier to have a free choice bale out IMO

We calve late summer so we need a high quality ration from calving well through breeding silage plays a part in this. Keep your ration fairly well balanced and manage your storage for minimum spoilage loss as spoilage can steal any advantage you hope to gain from corn silage.

I feed silage and I like it. I don't feed it heavily just enough they all get a good taste. I didn't feed any last year due to feeding brewers grain and love the results and will not go back to silage.

skyhightree1":3wt4ls17 said:
I feed silage and I like it. I don't feed it heavily just enough they all get a good taste. I didn't feed any last year due to feeding brewers grain and love the results and will not go back to silage.

How do you feed your brewers grain? how many lbs. per mature cow and at what interval (daily)?

mrvictordomino":x6jhpbc7 said:
skyhightree1":x6jhpbc7 said:

How do you feed your brewers grain? how many lbs. per mature cow and at what interval (daily)?

I feed it daily and I feed it to calves and cows I honestly don't know how much they are getting each but I'm trying to feed 20lbs or so for mature cows is my goal. You can definitely tell when they had too much. I also add baking soda to trough s and waterers

Very very little experience feeding it. Good stuff, and I fed it along with free choice hay. I liked it, but I couldn't get past the mental issue of what I had in it, on a dry basis. I fed it during a drought, and was glad to have it. My personal opinion (for me in my area) hay plus ddg is a better value, and achieves the same results. Your mileage may vary.

Latest posts