Corn Silage Surplus ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Cool wet summer and continuing dairy closures have created some unloved and just dented corn here. Global warming has lengthened our falls -- but killing frost is forecasted for tonight...
Starting silage asking price is $30 to $35 per ton which seems a bit high. Old timey calculation was corn silage in field was 7x price of a bu of grain, delivered corn silage was 10x price of a bu of grain. Is there a fairer way to calculate value?

That's still a good rule. I have seen a lot of difference ways to calculate corn silage come out of land grant universities in the dairy states. Some of them can get very complex. I would do a google search for "how to price corn silage" and then if you don't find what you want also include one of the universities in the dairy states in the search to make it more specific. I did a quick google and attached the first spreadsheet I found the link is below.

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/.../Co ... or2012.xls

Stocker Steve":qshih4d5 said:
Cool wet summer and continuing dairy closures have created some unloved and just dented corn here. Global warming has lengthened our falls -- but killing frost is forecasted for tonight...
Starting silage asking price is $30 to $35 per ton which seems a bit high. Old timey calculation was corn silage in field was 7x price of a bu of grain, delivered corn silage was 10x price of a bu of grain. Is there a fairer way to calculate value?
I'd think the calculated amount of actual grain per ton would work into the equation somewhere.

Latest posts