Sidney, what did you conclude? (graphic photos no longer)

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
What did you conclude happened to the vanishing cow and calf?

I had a cow go missing on me. ive been looking for her for two days. searched every nook and cranny, all the quicksand and mudpits, usual calving spots, swamp, pinethicket, ditches, ponds, you name it. Even the buzzards can't find her!

I'm starting to think an alligator took her down.

I had the same thing happen here last October. I think the alligator wore boots as I found where he cut my fence. I looked for three days,No cow. The neighbor suggested I look at the local sale barn. True story

I have no clue Beefy! I have still never found not hide nor hair of that cow. That calf I posted about that went down was hers and I ended up putting him down about 2 weeks ago now. I've checked all the fences and found no spot where it looks like she would have went through. I've never seen buzzards circling either. She wasn't wild or crazy either - she was a very tame, docile heifer I had raised. I have to assume that the aliens that were in N. Texas swung down here and took her for experimentation. :shock:

i still havent found mine either.

i dont think anybody got her. she was near calving, so i'm sure shes here on the farm somewhere, dead, but i'll declare if i can find her anywhere. Best case scenario is she jumped into one of the rye patches and is hiding in the woods with a new baby. she was a real docile second calver i raised and kind of a smaller cow that i wouldnt think would be much of a jumper. we had a lot of rain and the creeks rose pretty high but i cant find her floating anywhere. i dont think she got out either, but ive looked at all the neighboring herds from the road.

in all seriousness, the other afternoon we were feeding cows and i brought the horses the core of a bermuda bale and in the distance there was this big, long, orange "light" that was there for just long enough to see it and do it a double take and then it disappeared. this was in the daylight mind you. granted there are radio towers with red lights to the right and the left of where i saw this but this light was huge and elongated in comparison and clearly orange. i commented to dad about what i saw. he almost ran over me b/c i was sort of frozen thinking what the heck was that. so i dont know what was up with that...

but anyway, ive never had one just disappear that i couldnt find. i had one that i looked for like this and she turned up the next day in a hole below a hill. but i walked all the places she could possibly be unless shes under water somewhere. its baffling that the buzzards havent spotted her b/c there are tons of buzzards that roost here this time of year on the powerlines. i actually use them to help me locate new pairs sometimes. surely she'll turn up at some point. or if not maybe she is ok whereever she is.

Well, I sure hope you do find her. It $ucks to loose a young one like that. It's been over 2 months since mine went missing and still no clue. There's 120 acres she's in somewhere, but I've searched and searched. Maybe one day I'll come across a pile of bones, maybe not.

weve had some cattle to dissappear a time or 2.an like yall we never found them.was thinking we would find emm dead but nothing.figure she got on the road an someone loaded her.the bull got out after we got him.an he went a mile from the house.an stayed in the bottoms for a week.a guy was checking his cows.an found the bull on the dirt road.an drove him to the house.got lucky we found him thats for sure.

The in-laws lost one once and had left word at the local barns. A farmer got in touch with them and said he thought it was at his place - 3 months gone, 12 miles, many fences, several cattle herds from where it started. He wouldn't take anything for room or board so they sent him a Christmas card with a gift certificate to one of the better local restaurants. They were lucky indeed!

well, i found my cow. :( i guess i drove by her 8 times. its funny how a big old cow can be so hard to see.

yes she is dead too. she had the calf, it was about 15-20 feet away from her, and the calf was buried in sand upside down. you could just see its feet sticking up above the ground. i still think its weird that the buzzards didnt find her for that many days b/c she was in plain site to them.

the calf was buried upside down like that i assume b/c he must have been born when we had all that rain and they were in a really shallow ditch and all the silt/sand must have buried him. maybe he was laying upside down or maybe he just got washed liked that, idk. but the cow was a ways off. i assume she didnt die in labor since she was so far from the calf. she must have had a pinched nerve or something and moved that far away? anyway she was layed out and also somewhat surrounded by silt but she wasnt like "stuck". i'm guessing she maybe died of shock or possibly drowned (unlikely). the weird thing is when i found her she had right around her teeth exposed but that was all. and the buzzards finally found her, but they wont mess with her. i took a few pictures with my cellphone, why i'm not sure.

Dang Beefy, I hate to say it but it almost seems like some sort of cult thing going on. :? :???: The way the buzzards won't touch her and part of her muzzle being "cut" out like that (if it IS cut out) and, even weirder, the calf being burried upside down.

I could be wrong (and I hope I am, to be honest), but that's what it seems like to me.

sometimes buzzards wont touch the dead.i dont know if its the way they died.or the way they fell on the ground.but ive seen that as well.an i payed it no mind.the yotes will clean it up sooner or later.

Latest posts