Sickening...

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
People who claim themselves as "cattle folks" and have cattle like this really put a bad image on the REAL cattle folk that take GREAT care of their animals.

It's a 10 min vid, btw for you dial-up users. Long yes but something not worth keeping a secret about.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TxLNYTaK26U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TxLNYTaK26U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Good Lord some of those cows are in very bad shape! Take a look at the cow around the 6 min mark. Thanks for the video Karin.

Holy smoke!!! That is a case of cruelty to animals for sure, most of those needed to be put out of their misery!

Oh my gosh. This is one of my huge pet peeves. People being cruel to animals. :mad: :mad: I couldnt even watch it all I was so sad and sickened by it. Most of those animals need to shot to end their suffering and I wont even say what I would do to the person that owns the cattle. It wouldnt be pretty.

Hopefully the people who made this video had the common sense to notify the SPCA. Euthanize the animals and take everything from the people who owned them...house and everything. :cowboy:

If nothing else, that is an excellent example of city folks with way too much time on their hands....

Obviously, there are a few that have definite problems, but the vast majority look to be in excellent shape. I've had some myself that "I don't know if she can get up". Turned out they were having a really nice relaxation period, and kind of resented being hassled.

Looks can be deceiving, especially if the looks are picked over and chosen right.

I watched a few minutes and agree that several of these should be put out of their misery. Including the people that shot the video...

Looking at the video, it appears to be a farm with decent facilities. Possibly the owners are elderly and in their home and sick themselves. I do not know any cattlemen that would allow their stock to get into that condition. Possibly the do gooders taking the video should go to the home and investigate or call the sheriff to take a look.
Tom.

I'd like to know more of the facts. It looks bad but it also resembles an operation I once visited which bought sick animals and tried to turn them around. Reason I'm thinking this could be the case is it looks like the bad feet were foundered. From what we saw of that operation I doubt this could happen on this site. I don't think the folks holding the camera were unbiased or knew much about cattle either.

A friend of mine has a horse that is a cribber. He got the horse for nothing. Horse was in bad shape. He has put about 300 lbs on the horse but he recently got a visit from the Humane Society cause complaints were filed against him cause the horse was starving to death as people said the horse was having to eat the fence. If you saw the horse, your first impression would be neglect. But if you knew the whole history of the horse you would think differently.

ok first of all yes there are problems
1. City people with to much time and dont help the problems. Yes vidoetaping and putting it on the internet is going to slove the problem. Stupid city folks. If you are that concerned for the cattle go tlak to the owner and express your concerns. There probably and explanation.
2. Ok the dead cow now if it died on friday guess what people rendering truck cant get their till monday and it was a holiday weekend the rendering truck wont get their till tuesday then. It is illegal to bury them or burn them in some states so the rendring truck has to come pick them up thats y it was removed from the yard and is laying there till the rendering truck comes and gets it.
3. Yes there are a lot of cattle that are floundered but he probably has trouble with genetics with their feet and he fed them hot all winter with silage and corn. Most of them look to be in good shape except for the ones with bad feet.
4 yes some have lice and look bad they need to be pored though is all.
5 ITs muddy what do you expect in march people yards are muddy in the spring. I have seen yards in worse shape than that one. They have plenty of room and arent crowded.
6 i want to know how some city folks can tell whether a cow has milk or not from looking at her from the road when a calf is sucking on its moma. the looked to have pretty good bags and were full from what i saw.
7 They look to be coming off a hard winter and need some tlc people yes some should be disposed of but if you took those out there would b nothing wrong.
8 ok city folks yes cows sniff around but no they do not eat manure but they do sometimes eat dirt. now since most of the cows look fine im guessing they are being fed silage from a feeder wagon once a day.
9 they arent in the grass because they are still being fed a winter ration and the farmer probably doesnt want to over graze the pasture and is letting the grass get taller than one blade of grass cause the grass is not that tall in march in colder climates.
10. yes it gives farmers a bad name but that is due to ignorence on both sides. The farmer expects people to jsut know that hey he hada bad winter and has some problems an is working on it but doesnt have time to do a lot and has a good excuse cause the number one reason for farmers and ranchers to treat their cattle well is it doesnt pay not to treat your animals bad.
dont judge if you dont know the story cause obviously the people shooting the video know nothing about the farmer and arent going to offer their help to the farmer. and they know nothing about cattle. im sorry but this should not have been posted let alone shot by who ever did. Unecptable.

I think everyone's angry is directed at whoever let these cows get in this condition. It could be the current owner, but as some have said it could have been the previous owner. Quite frankly it doesn't matter to me as I don't know either other them, but what I do know is that SOMEONE let these cows get this way.

iowafarmer-
Who do you think buys beef? Customers. A very large percentage of beef customers are "stupid city folks". Seems to me if all of them quit buying beef, me (and alot of others) would be out of a job. We depend on them just like they depend on us. It's a symbiotic relationship. Further more, these people took the time to address the issue. In the end whether they really helped much or not doesn't exactly matter. They atleast attempted to help. They atleast cared and took the time to do something about it. I'd make a huge bet they contacted someone along with making the video. I've actually seen alot of farmers to stupider things than this. That doesn't mean all farmers are stupid. So why do so many people label city people "stupid". And its not just you. I guess the whole aspect of sterotyping and ridiculing others for your own gain doesn't sit well with me.

found this the original link and one of the comments under the video. I am not a Farmer and can't comment, I am a City dweller but by no means stupid. and if this is the real deal then he should be reported to the ASPCA surely by someone. This sort of thing should not be allowed to happen, but a few good points were made that he may be trying to undo something someone else has done. It does look like mad cow in some cases and that would mean to destroy them all yes/no???

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=TxLNYTaK2 ... =6&t=52495

This is appalling!!! Thanks to whoever took the video and posted it here. Also thanks to hallsneighbor who got me here. I know this sob and he is NOT a farmer, although he may think he is. Mental! He usually leaves hundreds of acres of corn in the field over the winter, feeding deer and other wild animals, meanwhile fencing in cattle to die of starvation and disease. It has become a habbit and MUST BE STOPPED!!! I will be scouting the area and hopefully have more video and results soon.

If you will read the comments below you will see that he took those cows to market shortly after that. What I want to know is what kind of a market would take the ones that are clearly sick and in horrible condition? This person doesn't need to raise animals, because they clearly don't know how! Much less supply meat for consumption, whether it be human, dog or whatever! :mad:

Yea those cattle were in bad shape and everyone has to agree to that but I have to think there is a behind the story. No one buys cattle to let them become trash like that. You lose money that way. The man may be old and hurt and no one can help him. Those people are jsut looking for attention that way. They solve nothing by video taping it and puttin it on line. They should of called the sherif i think.

CattleHand":l3xtto1d said:
No one buys cattle to let them become trash like that.
This is just not so. My mom was a Humane Investigator for the county we live in for over 25 years. There are more than enough people, for whatever reason, who buy healthy animals and let them deteriorate to this point. The animals are then taken away. There are some who then go out and buy more ~ and do it all again.

Also, as far as trying to "help" the animals become better. I firmly believe that there are conditions worse than death. Euthanization is under appreciated. Go all out to do all you can, but recognize when it is times to call it quits for the better of the animal.

CPL":e4z7q858 said:
iowafarmer-
Who do you think buys beef? Customers. A very large percentage of beef customers are "stupid city folks". Seems to me if all of them quit buying beef, me (and alot of others) would be out of a job. We depend on them just like they depend on us. It's a symbiotic relationship. Further more, these people took the time to address the issue. In the end whether they really helped much or not doesn't exactly matter. They atleast attempted to help.
I should of worded it ignorent to cattle and first hand knowledge of them. I was not calling anyone stupid in general. Unkowledgeable of cattle would be even better. But i tend to lack grace and political correctness for which i apoligize to all offended in my wording.
Like the fact that yes cattle die and no they cant be disposed of immediatly . It was a Memorial dayweekend if it died on firday the rendering company would not of made it there till tuesday and that is like any business they dont work weekends and holidays. Yes you hate to have them lay there but when its illegal to bury them or burn them what more can you do.
Yes i agree no one should let their cattle get like that but there are times when it happens such as the farmer gets injured or is sick and in the hospital and different neighbors do the chores different days and then no one takes the time cause they all have their own chores and dont feed the same every day. Im saying dont judge unless you know the story behind it.
And im sorry but where i come from and was raised if you want to adress an issue like that you go to the farmer and talk to them and deal with it locally with the sheriff and such. And the locals know what is going on. What im trying to say is we should not judge and say this is a terrible person that knows nothing about cattle and doesnt care. I have known a great man who farmed and took great care of his cattle and cared more than most but then his wife got cancer and was in the hospital a lot and his cattle got in bad shape becasue he was always in the hospital and because his wife came before the cattle. He finally sold them after some neighbors talked to him aobut it cause they couldnt all keep helping out with chores and such and he realized that they had to be sold and he did. His wife died a few weeks later. He has some cows again and they look great. So until we know the whole story we should not say anything about it and bash this farmer unless he is a farmer that doesnt care and/or is lazy or has to many cattle to take proper care of them. Both of which are unexceptable.
angie":e4z7q858 said:
Also, as far as trying to "help" the animals become better. I firmly believe that there are conditions worse than death. Euthanization is under appreciated. Go all out to do all you can, but recognize when it is times to call it quits for the better of the animal.
this is very true, but I know some farmers dont have it in them to put a cow down no matter what they just cant do it.

my thoughts are best summed up by Jogeephus's and Iowafarmer's comments.

(especially about the cow with no milk)

I agree that it looks bad but I dont like jumping to conclusions.

You know, if you came here early in the morning you could make a video like that and people would be in uproar saying how I shouldnt have animals.

You could start off at the house where there is a bunch of does with new kids in tiny little pens, with no grain or hay in the pens. You could say that they are being starved - but its just because I havent gotten up and fed them yet.

You could then walk down the laneway and you will see a heap of goats in yards similar to the cattle yard in the video - no grass, no mud because it hasnt rained but just lots of dust - poor goats you would say, there is a hay rack but there is no hay in it, and the goats are yelling they must be starving. But you happened to come on a day when they have finished off their bale and they are getting a new one - they have ad lib hay and they will get a new large bale today - and goats tend to yell for any reason, not just because they are hungry.

By the time you get down to the shed, you are really upset because you probably walked past the dogs that are chained up (because they are working dogs) and that one you walked past doesnt have any shelter, no kennel. Well, in fact it blew away during the night after the wire holding it down snapped - and I will of course put it back for her today.

Then there is the dead doe lying next to the shed - she died late last night so i just dragged her out of the pen and will take her up the hill to decompose today.

When you get down to the bottom set of yards and shed, you will really have a field day. Firstly there is the thin, lousy cow in a dirty yard with no grass or feed, she is almost bald and her ears are scabby. But what you dont realise is she has a bad case of photo and is being treated and fed grain and hay every day.

Next to her is a black horse who has kicks and bites and cuts all over her. Poor horse, she looks terrible. But what you didnt know is that she got attacked by another mare a couple of days ago and I immediately isolated and treated her, and she will never be pastured with that mare again.

In the shed you will find a bunch of weaner goats with scours, and two in a seperate pen with prolapsed bowel. How cruel - but you dont realise I had a problem with coccidiosis but I realised it and they are ALL undergoing treatment, and they have all made significant improvements over the last two days.

Just an example of how things may not be what they seem. Looking at that, someone would want to confiscate all my animals and euthanase them. Ban me from ever owning animals. But all those animals are recieving care, in my opinion everything needed is being done for them.

That was an excellent post Keren! While I agree it looks bad on the surface the camera was being pointed by motives unknown to us. I think we owe it to ourselves and we owe it to other producers and farmers to not strike a jury until all the facts are heard. I commend Iluvabeef for asking the questions she did on the board this was posted on. Excellent questions that might have helped someone think before they jumped. Good job Iluvabeef. :clap: This is the kind of stuff that gets us all in hot water over.

BTW A good friend of mine is a semi-retired veterinarian. He was telling me that the Humane Department Officer and a bunch of bitties had him out to a cattleman's place to witness the cruelty that was on the farm. They pointed out that the trough had a peanut in it and it was the same peanut that had been there for several days. They wanted to shut the operation down. Doc pointed at the eight inch tall grass and asked the Officer and the biddies what it was. They said GRASS. He said exactly - this is what cows eat! And he went home. Bad thing is this officer is paid by our tax dollars. God save us.

Latest posts