Sickening...

Help Support CattleToday:

Life is what it is. Good and bad folks as we all know.

Do not judge lest you be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. And why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "Let me take the speck out of your eye," and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. (Matthew 7:1-5)

No offense directed at anyone. Just a good scripture.

Everyone should feel the right to raise the question. It is what makes us America. In the end we are too diverse in our thinking to maintain our heritage..... just as Rome.

Once upon a time I had 3 brood mares turned out in the bush....they had all kinds of hay down in the cedars but in the winter the only place to grain them was off the main highway. Those mares would stand around the tubs at certain times of the day when they knew someone was going to be around to feed. So to passers by it looked like a bunch of frozen starved animals with empty tubs and no shelter. Someone called the humane society and they came to the house. I told them what the situation was and took the officer down to see the mares....He looked them over and commented how he wished everyone had as fat and healthy looking mares. He also commented that they had to look into every complaint and they USUALLY are false claims against farming folk!

BUT: Every time I go to a sales barn in my area, I am appalled at the condition the livestock are in. I wonder myself how bad things would have to be to let the animals get into such a condition that i am surprised the sales yard accepts them! Why not ship them when they still have an ounce of flesh or an ounce of strength? What is going on here. ?

Keren":39sjiuvu said:
I agree that it looks bad but I dont like jumping to conclusions.

You know, if you came here early in the morning you could make a video like that and people would be in uproar saying how I shouldnt have animals.

You could start off at the house where there is a bunch of does with new kids in tiny little pens, with no grain or hay in the pens. You could say that they are being starved - but its just because I havent gotten up and fed them yet.

You could then walk down the laneway and you will see a heap of goats in yards similar to the cattle yard in the video - no grass, no mud because it hasnt rained but just lots of dust - poor goats you would say, there is a hay rack but there is no hay in it, and the goats are yelling they must be starving. But you happened to come on a day when they have finished off their bale and they are getting a new one - they have ad lib hay and they will get a new large bale today - and goats tend to yell for any reason, not just because they are hungry.

By the time you get down to the shed, you are really upset because you probably walked past the dogs that are chained up (because they are working dogs) and that one you walked past doesnt have any shelter, no kennel. Well, in fact it blew away during the night after the wire holding it down snapped - and I will of course put it back for her today.

Then there is the dead doe lying next to the shed - she died late last night so i just dragged her out of the pen and will take her up the hill to decompose today.

When you get down to the bottom set of yards and shed, you will really have a field day. Firstly there is the thin, lousy cow in a dirty yard with no grass or feed, she is almost bald and her ears are scabby. But what you dont realise is she has a bad case of photo and is being treated and fed grain and hay every day.

Next to her is a black horse who has kicks and bites and cuts all over her. Poor horse, she looks terrible. But what you didnt know is that she got attacked by another mare a couple of days ago and I immediately isolated and treated her, and she will never be pastured with that mare again.

In the shed you will find a bunch of weaner goats with scours, and two in a seperate pen with prolapsed bowel. How cruel - but you dont realise I had a problem with coccidiosis but I realised it and they are ALL undergoing treatment, and they have all made significant improvements over the last two days.

Just an example of how things may not be what they seem. Looking at that, someone would want to confiscate all my animals and euthanase them. Ban me from ever owning animals. But all those animals are recieving care, in my opinion everything needed is being done for them.

I wasn't so much concerned about the dead one, as the ones with bad feet and fur falling out, or how about the one that was hacking, those animals were in horrible shape!

What all of you say makes sense. I will say though that sometimes animals are treated cruelly. Sometimes they are starved to death. People treat each other atrociously, I see this everytime I go to work ~ why would you think animals are exempt. There are FOR REAL examples of animal cruelty. Closing your eyes to it or making excuses for gross neglect of others does not make it a myth told around the campfire at a PETA gathering. My moms work was all volunteer. All volunteer time and cost. And her number one job was educating people on how to improve the situation of their animals and Mn state law. She did not pull in with a stock trailer and load 'em up.

She drove into yards of affluent people, people actively employed in the community, went into their barns and saw insane cases of starvation and neglect. I would go on, but then I would get jumped on by someone for pointing out the ugly.

We have an obligation as people in the animal business to be aware.

RD-Sam":1e3guk8q said:
Keren":1e3guk8q said:
I agree that it looks bad but I dont like jumping to conclusions.

You know, if you came here early in the morning you could make a video like that and people would be in uproar saying how I shouldnt have animals.

You could start off at the house where there is a bunch of does with new kids in tiny little pens, with no grain or hay in the pens. You could say that they are being starved - but its just because I havent gotten up and fed them yet.

You could then walk down the laneway and you will see a heap of goats in yards similar to the cattle yard in the video - no grass, no mud because it hasnt rained but just lots of dust - poor goats you would say, there is a hay rack but there is no hay in it, and the goats are yelling they must be starving. But you happened to come on a day when they have finished off their bale and they are getting a new one - they have ad lib hay and they will get a new large bale today - and goats tend to yell for any reason, not just because they are hungry.

By the time you get down to the shed, you are really upset because you probably walked past the dogs that are chained up (because they are working dogs) and that one you walked past doesnt have any shelter, no kennel. Well, in fact it blew away during the night after the wire holding it down snapped - and I will of course put it back for her today.

Then there is the dead doe lying next to the shed - she died late last night so i just dragged her out of the pen and will take her up the hill to decompose today.

When you get down to the bottom set of yards and shed, you will really have a field day. Firstly there is the thin, lousy cow in a dirty yard with no grass or feed, she is almost bald and her ears are scabby. But what you dont realise is she has a bad case of photo and is being treated and fed grain and hay every day.

Next to her is a black horse who has kicks and bites and cuts all over her. Poor horse, she looks terrible. But what you didnt know is that she got attacked by another mare a couple of days ago and I immediately isolated and treated her, and she will never be pastured with that mare again.

In the shed you will find a bunch of weaner goats with scours, and two in a seperate pen with prolapsed bowel. How cruel - but you dont realise I had a problem with coccidiosis but I realised it and they are ALL undergoing treatment, and they have all made significant improvements over the last two days.

Just an example of how things may not be what they seem. Looking at that, someone would want to confiscate all my animals and euthanase them. Ban me from ever owning animals. But all those animals are recieving care, in my opinion everything needed is being done for them.

I wasn't so much concerned about the dead one, as the ones with bad feet and fur falling out, or how about the one that was hacking, those animals were in horrible shape!

Yup U are right there were a lot of animals in horrible shape. And I don't think that excuses can cover them all. Especially that number of animals with different stages of severe neglect.

angie":1wieyh6k said:
I would go on, but then I would get jumped on by someone for pointing out the ugly.

We have an obligation as people in the animal business to be aware.

Why? You are making a valid point. We do need to be watchful and be careful as this concerns our livelihoods. Stuff like this is where undue regulations come from. But at the same time, it is very possible that there is more to this than meets the eye. It could very well be a cull yard that buys cull animals. And how many times on this board have you heard people speak of dumping their sick animals at the stockyard? Where do they think they go?

Again, if you read the comments you will see that these animals were sent to market!

It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone, when people see animals not being taken care of, they need to do something about it. That type of thing just adds fuel to the animal rights activists cause, and in case nobody noticed, they are starting to gain ground.

Latest posts