Sick of Barbed Wird

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2b4amfyb said:
mitchwi":2b4amfyb said:
I've wondered about the Hi-ten going thru woods when a tree goes over on it, barb will usually snap right there, or stretch enough to not break. Last summer I had a tree land right on a t-post and drove it and the barb wire straight into the ground with only 3 inches of t-post left sticking out. What I am wondering is, the barb will usually stay up, at least up to the next clip, then of course the tree is there....what happens in the same scenerio with the hi-ten?

Same thing but be careful when you cut the tree, the wire will snap/jump/leap right back up.

dun

I built a mile of 4 strand non-electric high tensile fence through the woods 3 years ago. It's just a cross fence but it's the cheapest low maintenance fence I have. Holds up to deer and trees really well.

I guess I must be lazy, all I want a fence to do is keep the cows in. It dont have to be pretty or clean, just functional. Personally I think a lot of people spend way too many dollars on a fence that would be much better spent on your pastures.. If a cow has plenty to eat,she aint going nowhere, one strand of wire could keep her in.

Patch your fences and put one strand of hotter than hades hotwire inset about a 2 foot from your fence. To me a pretty fence is just waiting for a bull or a tree to take a dump on it and ruin the whole thing.

I have a question for you ladies and gentlemen. Can I electrify an existing five strand barbed wire fence? This time of year, the cows are sticking their necks through the wire to get to the "greener" grass on the other side. A couple strands have broken; they do every year. I was hoping I could electrify one or two lines of existing wire. Im hoping to avoid laying new wire. I've never had an electric fence. I don't know much about grounding or how much juice will keep in a 1000lb cow. Thanks for your suggestions!

cfry":37jpt06a said:
I have a question for you ladies and gentlemen. Can I electrify an existing five strand barbed wire fence? This time of year, the cows are sticking their necks through the wire to get to the "greener" grass on the other side. A couple strands have broken; they do every year. I was hoping I could electrify one or two lines of existing wire. Im hoping to avoid laying new wire. I've never had an electric fence. I don't know much about grounding or how much juice will keep in a 1000lb cow. Thanks for your suggestions!
I wouldn't electrify barb wire....run another smooth wire on the existing posts or add standoff staves.

Even if you wanted to electrify the barbed wire (I wouldn't), you wouldn't be able to because the wires aren't insulated. I like to use stand offs .

1982vett":ahmt4fvf said:
cfry":ahmt4fvf said:
I wouldn't electrify barb wire....run another smooth wire on the existing posts or add standoff staves.

X2, Some do it but there are many warnings out there about electrifying barbed wire.

I see many saying not to electrify barbwire. What are the warnings about it? I have no electric fencing at this time, but I have used smooth wire and barbwire. Just curios, because I was thinking of powering some of my fences.

AndyL":2shirod5 said:
I see many saying not to electrify barbwire. What are the warnings about it? I have no electric fencing at this time, but I have used smooth wire and barbwire. Just curios, because I was thinking of powering some of my fences.
Just put up a little and then let it reach out and grab you when you aren't paying attention.....those barbs are designed to rip and tear when something runs through it....for what I'm trying to keep in, I don't need to use electrified barbs....Now maybe depending on what you are trying to keep out could be another story.

1982vett":1py1yvjc said:
AndyL":1py1yvjc said:
Just put up a little and then let it reach out and grab you when you aren't paying attention.....those barbs are designed to rip and tear when something runs through it....for what I'm trying to keep in, I don't need to use electrified barbs....Now maybe depending on what you are trying to keep out could be another story.
I thought there was more to it than that. Doesn't have to be electrified to take a bite outta ya. Get a scratch or cut every time I fool with it. With all the warnings, just thought there was more.

Well, when dealing with livestock especially cattle, they will never act or respond as expected. And never say never!

A single strand of electric barb wire out in the open is not too bad and if power fails, the barb wire will hold them a little longer than smooth wire. If electric barb wire is on existing fence it can ground out very easy and just cause constant dead/weak charge problems. The danger comes when wire is hot and something or someone gets in it. It won't let go and if subject gets tangled in the other non charged wires this increases charge and they can really tear themselves up getting loose, IF THEY GET LOOSE. If not it could really be bad. Using a standoff works pretty well or even putting a single strand about a foot or so off the fence. All extra work. As mentioned earlier, cattle shouldn't bother most fences if they are not hungry. If they do and pasture is good that animal would go to the sale if mine. The ground and the fencer do make the fence. I like permanent fences but I know there is a time and place for electrified semi-perm or tempory fences, especially if leasing/renting ground. Caution, electric fences around the haylot can cause fire. A good practice with or without electric fences is to split your hay storage at least in half. Better is thirds or quarters. Don't want one fire to wipe out all of your winter feed! Electric fences are good tools when used properly and maintained. Not to good for the cattlemen that checks property once a week or so.
Phil in Tupelo

Latest posts