Sick feeder will not eat

Help Support CattleToday:

SmallOhioFarm

Reaction score
We bought five Herefords that were just weened from a local farm. We got them home and kept them separated for a few weeks. They looked and acted great. We put them out with our other feeders and things seemed ok. I've been feeding free choice hay and about two pounds sm per head per day to make up for the poor quality hay. I also add about a pound of shell corn per head. Free choice salt and mineral. Things were going ok when I noticed the five I bought started to loose weight. The others still looked good. About two more weeks and now all are loosing weight. Of the five I bought, the smallest one looked really bad, but was still eating. I called the vet out and he was shocked how bad it looked but yet she was still eating and walking around. He wasn't sure what was wrong, but took a stool sample. Said he didn't think it would make it. Called me the next day and told me that she was LOADED with worms. He said to worm all of our animals right away. I wormed them 11-27. All are looking good already, except for the one that looked the worse. She has gotten even worse. We separated her to watch her Sunday, and she isn't eating and only drank about 1/2 gallon of water. We tried, hay, corn, sweet feed. She just isn't eating anything. Here ears are still up and she gets around but she looks like a skeleton. She looks so bad I would put her down except she doesn't seem to be in any pain? Any idea on what I could do to get her to eat.

Thanks

What was she dewormed with? Were these animals fully vaccinated? Can you take her temperature? I would certainly contact the vet again for suggestions, but other people might suggest something YOU can do.

I myself wouldn't wait if it has been over 2 weeks since vet saw her. Might be time to draw some blood. If this vet has no clue, then get another one out there. Just my opinion. I do hope you can save her.

Gale Seddon":28dicg4v said:
What was she dewormed with? Were these animals fully vaccinated? Can you take her temperature?

Ditto

Is the calf pooping? What does it look like? Urinating? Signs of dehydration? Rumen sounds or actions visible?

It may be a losing battle at this point but I would give probiotics, hay and water (maybe put some molasses or corn syrup in the water for added energy). I'd stay away from any other feeds until you know the system is working. I'd also be evaluating the calfs value and deciding if its worth another vet check and the time , feed and effort it will take to get the calf back up to weight, and then you still don't know what damage is already done and if it will ever be a profitable animal.

First thing I would do is another fecal and make sure the worms are really gone.

I used Ivomec poor on, we don't have a scale but I guessed heavier then normal on all of them

They were not vaccinated - I normally don't purchase off the farm or auction, and I normally don't vaccinate our feeders. I will the next time I purchase off the farm regardless.

Temp was good / and still is

Calf is pooping - was very, very loose (brown water) but is now thickening up - very small piles but at least thick enough to see

Calf is urinating

Doesn't really look like she is Dehydrated, nose is wet and she has been urinating

Im going to send a couple fecal test in from her and another to make sure I got rid of the worms

The calf started to eat a very little, but at least it is eating and drinking.

We talked to the Vet today, he thinks that the infestation was so bad, that her insides are scarred, and this is causing the issues. He said he can take more fecal samples / blood samples if we want. Since she started to eat and drink I think Im just going to watch her and keep doing what we are doing. If she starts to look as if she is suffering I will just have to put her down.

If the parasite load is extremely bad it can lead to internal bleeding and decreased nutrional uptake into the blood stream. Each worm is attatched to the lining of the intenstines or stomach. And when removed leaves a little sore. Enough little sores and you got a problem. Digested blood will show up as black in the stool. Takes a while for the sores inside to heal.