Sick drop calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Nettie

Reaction score
A friend of mine was given a drop calf because it has developed an infection in the knee joint. The area is swollen and hot to the touch, there is a wound on the front of the knee itself and it is somewhat draining but not enough to make a difference in the wound. The calf is recieving antibiotics but I was wondering if anyone knows of a home remedy for a poultice to put on the area and try to draw the infection out. The calf is still eating and drinking well and my friend wants to try a poultice first before having to call a vet in...here they charge 75 dollars for just driving out to the place so you can see why he wants to try a home remedy first before dumping a bunch of money on a vet....anyone know of a home remedy poultice for knee wounds/infections?
All help and recipes greatly appreciated
Nettie

Hi Nettie and Welcome to the board.

I don't know of any poultices etc.. but would just suggest you keep the flies off the open part and let the antibiotics work.

Any gel/linement/grease will keep the flies off, other than that maybe a bandage?

Have had one knee swelling situation, 2 shots of LA300 over a week cleared it.

Thanks for the warm welcom Angus
Anyways, the calf is sprayed with repellent and the wound is kept lightly wrapped to prevent flys from getting to it. As i stated before he is recieving antibiotic intramuscularly but this does not seem to be reducing the swelling in any way. I wish i could recall the poultice dressing I had used b4. I remember that it contained oatmeal bread and a bit of salt but I know I am missing one key ingredient if not two. The salt draws out infection and the oatmeal absorbed it but the other compound helped increase circulation in the area. I wish i could remember what it was.
Went and looked at the calf about an hour ago and it is not doing any better, it cannot stand on that leg. Help with this would be much appreciated because I think this person wont call in a vet because of expense and I would like to see it survive.
At most I believe that it may survive another 2 to 3 at the most in its present pain and condition. Am calling for S.O.S help.
Nettie

Any idea how the injury happened? How deep is it? Could there still be some contaminate like wood or metal or something inside the wound? Exactly what and how much antibiotic are you giving this animal? How old/how much does it weigh?

I would say get aggressive with cleaning - really dig around in there - see if you feel anything gritty or "not right". Clean all old dead tissue out - especially if there is puss. Use clean water or even sterile saline.

If it isn't that deep then some kind of antibiotic ointment might be applied, but I wouldn't go packing it with odd stuff if there is any chance of something still in there.

Do you have to have the vet come there - can you haul the calf to a clinic? would save considerable for me with my vet.

If they have a joint infection they need to be treated extremely aggressively with antibiotics -- don't mess around with home remedies. However; you can throw a sweat wrap on to try to draw out some swelling (plastic wrap for cooking on bottom with vet wrap over) in addition to antibiotic therapy. That has worked for me.

Very often an animal with an infection like that or an abcess will begin to drain on its own -- you may not have an actual wound on the knee but rather a natural drainage spot.

Keep an eye on your expenses; it's very easy to throw good money after bad with calves w/joint ill and there comes a time to call it quits. Been there done that.

Latest posts