Sick Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

sewall

Reaction score
Just wanting to hear what yall think about a cow that I have. She's had the trots for about a week and a half now pretty bad ones. I thought it was initially because of a change in diet but I'm beginning to think it is something else now. What do yall think are the possible causes of this and if I took a stool sample to the vet would this be helpful?

How old is the cow? How is her appetite? Does she seem sick or off her feed? Does she have a temp?

Yes...taking a sample to the vet will help! Could be any number of things.. BVD.. Johnes...

She seems to be fine and I don't know her age for sure but I'm guessing she is 5-7 years. Haven't really checked her temp or anything yet because I've been away but I will get a stool sample to the vet.

Temp is a good idea, so is a detailed description of symptoms - texture, color, etc - smeared on rump and tail or just loose? Bad smell or fairly normal? Color?

WHAT was the change in diet FROM and TO? When? Any other pertinent details - other animals nearby, new or herdmates.

Loose stools can be from so many things, you need to give as much information as you can.

It is basically a liquid not much solid matter that is normal colored, no blood. Its not really smeared cause it never makes contact with her rear, it just squirts right on bye. She has been with the other cows for a long time and she is the only one with the problem. Haven't got close enough to smell it. Oh and the change in diet was from dry pasture to protien tubs and bermuda hay.

sewall":2ks979k5 said:
Oh and the change in diet was from dry pasture to protien tubs and bermuda hay.

BINGO, we have a winner. If all else is normal, keep an eye on her for another week or so. She may be a pig and be eating so much of the tub that it's causing the situation.

Depends on how big of a pig she is. Had a Hereford cow that was like that on anything other then dry hay. A fecal to the vet would help put your mind at ease.

Hippie Rancher":2hi3z0zj said:
rockridgecattle":2hi3z0zj said:

diarrhea - cause when you gots it you tend to trot to the bathroom

You can tell the Southern people here pretty easy. Seems that we all know what the "trots" are.

Listen to Dun. He's right on track with his advice to you.

grannysoo":3gn2vmxk said:
Hippie Rancher":3gn2vmxk said:
rockridgecattle":3gn2vmxk said:

diarrhea - cause when you gots it you tend to trot to the bathroom

You can tell the Southern people here pretty easy. Seems that we all know what the "trots" are.

I ain;t from the south and we alwasy referred to it as the trots or green apple quickstep

Although my money is with Dun on this one, as heavy consumption of malassass in the protien tubs is a huge factor in loose stools, I would in fact look to do two things to rule out any other causes...............temp, and poop sample to the vet.........we should not forget a parasitic overload can also cause very loose manure................while your at it........take manure sample from the whole herd.....it might be a good time to worm if after a good frost or two. when looking at heath problems with liivestock always look towrd the most logical and commom causes for illnesses before you look at more exotic causes.....although these things can and do happen.

Manure samples are good way to judge not only the effectiveness of your worming program, but also saves money for those times that you DO NOT need to worm.......if the vet or diagnostic lab finds little evidence of parisites, then costas for worming can be avoided for now. :cboy:

As you are waiting for the Vet to study specimens. I would go ahead and hit her with Sulfa Boluses like Albon. I keep the stuff on hand always.

The age is right for Johnes... I would think if it was overload of molasses tubs she would have stopped by now. Hopefully Dun is right!

sewall":3bf53upg said:
Just wanting to hear what yall think about a cow that I have. She's had the trots for about a week and a half now pretty bad ones. I thought it was initially because of a change in diet but I'm beginning to think it is something else now. What do yall think are the possible causes of this and if I took a stool sample to the vet would this be helpful?

well, you might stick her in a corral with no tub, just dry hay for a week and see if it makes a big difference.

Vet said it was probably the tub so he gave me a couple shots to give directly into her rumen and some type of powder to put on grain. She seems to be alot better so I guess the tub just doesn't agree with her.

Latest posts