SICK COW

Help Support CattleToday:

ltroglin

Reaction score
I need help, I have a cow that her left side vulva swelled then a day or two later her right side swelled. With both sides still swelled she started bleeding from her nose and mouth. Her back is arched, like she is straining, urine is clear. What could be wrong?

Sounds painful to me. Call the vet!

Alice

ltroglin":3qlcnd1o said:
I need help, I have a cow that her left side vulva swelled then a day or two later her right side swelled. With both sides still swelled she started bleeding from her nose and mouth. Her back is arched, like she is straining, urine is clear. What could be wrong?
is this cow due too calve soon

ALACOWMAN":2yysfv8q said:
ltroglin":2yysfv8q said:

Would that cause her to bleed from the nose and mouth? It's an honest question...I don't know...and I'd really like to.

Alice

Alice":23ewo3ah said:
ALACOWMAN":23ewo3ah said:
ltroglin":23ewo3ah said:

Would that cause her to bleed from the nose and mouth? It's an honest question...I don't know...and I'd really like to.

Alice
if she has been straining for awhile you bet. ive seen them flop like a fish out of water. thrashing and banging their head trying too deliver one that was breeched or a malpresentation. my humble but accurate opinion though is contact a vet

ALACOWMAN":2ukxqmkf said:
Alice":2ukxqmkf said:
ALACOWMAN":2ukxqmkf said:
ltroglin":2ukxqmkf said:

Alice
if she has been straining for awhile you bet. ive seen them flop like a fish out of water. thrashing and banging their head trying too deliver one that was breeched or a malpresentation. my humble but accurate opinion though is contact a vet

Thank you...it never occurred to me that the bleeding could be caused by injuring itself.

Alice

No, she is not pregnant. We think maybe she swallowed some kind of hardware. We are giving her antibiotics from the vet but I just don't know.

ltroglin":qtxvwksx said:
No, she is not pregnant. We think maybe she swallowed some kind of hardware. We are giving her antibiotics from the vet but I just don't know.

Does the vet think it's hardware? Is that why you are giving antibiotics? If you think it's hardware and the vet doesn't know that, have you told him?

Does one treat hardware with antibiotics only? I don't know...my Daddy always dropped a magnet, but that was years, and years and years ago.

Alice

We had one case of hardware, cow went off feed, was lying down all day...vet thought she had a tumor, but suggested we try a magnet and penicillin...we did, and she recovered quickly...had a one-month calf on her at the time. Lost her milk, but the appetite and milk came back fast (24 hours maybe?) and all was well. (I tried to bottle-feed that baby and almost lost my mind!)

Itroglin, has the vet seen this cow or was this via telephone? The swelling and bleeding part would scare me. If it were my cow, I'd get a vet there soon (or take her to one if you have to).

I think you pretty much have to treat hardware disease with a magnet, otherwise you are just treating the results and not the cause.

Well, sounds like a magnet is still in fashion...soooo, Itroglin, has the vet seen the cow? Why don't you ask the vet to drop a magnet for you, if that's what you think it might be? That humped back could definitely mean pain...and an animal in pain needs some relief...one way or the other.

Alice

Alice":2evg2raz said:
ltroglin":2evg2raz said:

Does the vet think it's hardware? Is that why you are giving antibiotics? If you think it's hardware and the vet doesn't know that, have you told him?

Does one treat hardware with antibiotics only? I don't know...my Daddy always dropped a magnet, but that was years, and years and years ago.

Alice

Alice, what is "hardware"? Never heard of it.

Cheers,

Hardware is a nail, wire, etc. Magnet is $2.00. Stick one in. Won't hurt her to have one for the future either.

Latest posts