Sick cow treatment

Help Support CattleToday:

Farminlund

Reaction score
I lost one to a respiratory ailment last month (I noticed her labored breathing only hours prior to her expiration). I have another cow that has gone off feed & has a temp >104. I just got her up & gave her a shot of micotil (within the last hour). She did not seem to have labored breathing, but I felt like maybe she was in an early stage of a respiratory disease, plus that's the only high powered antibiotic I have at my immediate disposal. I have LA200 & Penicillin (short acting) as well but felt that neither had the "horse power" to resolve the problem.

Is this what others would have done given the information I've sited? She is 8 yrs old, good body condition, & due to calve this spring.

If she's not showing reduced temp in the AM, I'll call the vet but thought some of you folk might have some thoughts & would appreciate any and all. thanks much

I'm a firm believer in micotil, good stuff. For respiratory problems I've started using nuflor or baytril first, then if it persists break out the micotil. But for severe cases will just go ahead and use it. Or basically whatever's in the truck at the time. :lol:

Been wondering where you have been hiding, nice to hear from you. Just wish it was under different circumstances.

cfpinz

Latest posts