sick cow.....need advise .... sap

Help Support CattleToday:

jbfarms011

Reaction score
monday night one of our cows got its head inside of the goats door and got it stuck. well, she then fell down in the mud, got stuck and couldn't get up. found her tuesday morning, got her up, put her in dry stall, my husband gave her (la-200) and (pen bp-48) she is eating her hay this morning, but we noticed she was very bloated on one side. is it from laying on one side all night? what can we do? should i get the vet out right now!
thanks to any one that can give me advise. J&B

Obviously she was hungry when she got her head unstuck, she may just be full. When I say left side, I mean her left side, or left side standing behind her.

Larry

If you've got some Thera-Bloat or some other bloat release product, give her that along with probios and a shot of B-complex. If you don't have any of that stuff call the vet.

Larry

Maybe call the vet and explain the circumstances to him/her like you did here. He might be able to to tell you what to watch for...or might be concerned enough to ask to see the cow.

I always thought that a cow that continued to eat was a good sign that things weren't too dire...

Just saw what Larry wrote, and as usual, that's excellent advice.

Alice :)

For future reference, you should NEVER give LA200 & Pen48 together. One is gram-neg & the other is gram-positive (from what I recall hearing hubby explaining to others). I think they counteract each other.
Anyway, LA200 is an excellent product - for pinkeye & footrot. Nearly useless for anthing else.
Right side swolen should just be from eating. Left side is bloating. Or she may have gotten a twisted gut = anyone know if they would be full on right side with twisted gut?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":293k7cq3 said:
Right side swolen should just be from eating. Left side is bloating. Or she may have gotten a twisted gut = anyone know if they would be full on right side with twisted gut?

Right sided fullness can be RDA, excess intestinal gas (from twisted intestine or excess production), poor gut/rumen motility, or cecal distention/torsion.

I was also going to suggest twisted gut.. since she was stuck for a time before you found her, she could have done that struggling to get loose.

thanks again evey one. she is doing fine. gave her the bloat medicine too. she is getting treated like a queen! her own private room,hay,grain,water......

Latest posts