Sick Cow ***HELP***

Help Support CattleToday:

kpbaker

Reaction score
First calf heifer, about 20-22 months old, came down sick. Black, liquid feces, off feed, very depressed. First treatment Monday: sulfa bulluses, and 50 cc LA200. Took stool sample to vet, some coccidia and minimal various others. Second treatment Wednesday: Sulfa bulluses and 50 cc LA200. Friday, 50more ccLA200 and complete wormer. Cow still isn't eating much, if any. Drinking a little water. Breathing is heavy and laboured. She was due to calf 1st of March. Sluffing from the vagina. Finally got her into the barn. It warmed up to 40 F. today, but started raining, so she's under cover and isolated with a heat lamp. She's drinking a little, but not eating and very weak (took 1.5 hrs to lead her about 100 yards into barn).

Any ideas??? All input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

First thing I would do is get some real antibiotics into her. Draxxin, Excede, or something similar. What did the vet (large animal type I hope) recommend?

dun":19tqbios said:
First thing I would do is get some real antibiotics into her. Draxxin, Excede, or something similar. What did the vet (large animal type I hope) recommend?

Your "help" needs to come from a vet, not much we can do here.....

Did your vet actually see the heifer?

The calf may have died inside of her too and she didn't slip it.

If she were mine, she would be on a trailer on the way to the vet. Fortunately, our vet clinic is equipped for cattle.

I don't remember exactly, but I recall these being some symptoms of acorn or pine (pondersa?) poisoning.

Get her to the vet... Vet can give some good antibiotics.

At this point she may be somewhat dehydrated as well (are her eyes sunk in? can you tent her skin and it doesn't "snap" right back?)

This girl could have something on the inside (dead calf or other) rotting and making her septic (do her eyes have a slight yellow hint of color to them)

Please let us know any updates and good luck.

I'm presuming the vet thinks the coccidiocis is not the problem - you haven't listed anything there that effectively treats it (I'm uncertain whether the sulpha bolus would have any effect).

Your vet will give more pointed advice than any of us can. Last time I saw real black runny faeces it was stomach ulcers (blood causing the black colouring), vet filled the cow up with antibiotics and she died that night in spite of his 'semi-hopeful' prognosis. But normal scours due to diet, infection, or as side effect of another ailment would just as easily match your description.

First, ensure she is hydrated. She's drinking a little - good. Do the skin test like DB describes below and get electrolytes into her if she's dehydrated. And heed Dun's advice - the right antibiotics will fix most things unless the beast was going to die anyway.
Let us know how she gets on.

Latest posts