Sick Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Brad Allison

Reaction score
I bought a herford heifer at the sale barn and this was not a good idea I know. Her nose was runnig yellow, she had the scours, she is weak standing, and breathing in a pant. This was several days ago. I have had her on Milk replacement non soy, Electroliytes, Nuflor, Batryl, Tribrissen, and having to tube feed her because she will not eat. Yeah I know her name needs to be LUCKY!!! She is getting two quarts in the morning and the evening. Oh yeah, I failed to mention this is a two hundred pound calf not a ranny. Any bright ideas? Her stool has stiffened up some. I have fresh water out and sweet feed hoping she will consume some on her own but not yet.

Take the calf to the vet...provide a stool sample...ask the vet to listen to the lungs...

I'm sorry, but from your description, I'm surprised the poor thing is still alive...and from your description, it sounds as tho it doesn't want to live. Sometimes the hard things to do are the best things to do in the long run. From your description, the calf appears to be suffering...I'd end it. I hate facing the situation you are in. You have my sympathy, I promise.

Alice

Latest posts